Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Finger sucker Rss

Hi everyone, I've got a 11week old son (our first child) and he sucks his fingers. He sucks them when he's happy, sad, hungry or not hungry, he has also started to try and put them in when he's feeding. I don't know if it's ok to let him or if I should try and stop him. I let him have a dummy but he takes it out to put his fingers in. He sucks them so hand they almost have little blisters on them. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Happy parenting.
I also have a finger sucker, a knuckle sucker and a wrist sucker all achieved in his short 12 weeks! I have found he does this for no apparent reason, the main one being contentment we hope. As there appears to be nothing upsetting him, nor is he wet, windy or hungry, I think he does this because it feels good and life is good at that particular time. From what I have read it isnt something to be concerned about. My boy is 12 weeks today and I love every minute of it!
Hi Stephie,

Thanks for replying, it's good to know there are other babies out there that suck their fingers, all the other babies in our mothers don't do it. Our little ones are a week apart...wow. I also love every minute of being a parent, Cameron is a very contented baby...maybe it's the finger sucking gasp)

Bye
Hi. My daughter is 11 weeks old and tries to fit both hands in her mouth.

She loves her fingers and mine.

Seems and OK thing to me as makes her happy.

Therese

Therese, BRISBANE, 3yr old boy 6 wk girl

my son is also 11 weeks old and loves sucking on his hands all the time. he seems pretty excited that he has discovered them and im sure its ok.

the only other thing i have heard is that this is something they may do when they start to teeth? has anyone else heard that?

baby boy

Jimmy also sucks his fingers a lot. Not sure if this is related to teething or just because he has discovered his fingers. He is probably at the beginning of teething though, the amount of drool! He totally saturated a bib in about 10 min the other day.

Michelle, mum to James born 15/9/03

I have a 2 year old that sucks her fingers. I have tried to stop it but there really isn't anything that you can do. I think she does it as a comfort thing. At least as your child gets older and if he still does it and doesn't want the dummy you'll always find the fingers and not lose them while shopping

karla, QLD, 2yo and 9mth girls

Hi, my daughter is also drooling heaps as well as gnawing on her fingers.

It's supposedly too early for teething, but who knows, maybe her teeth are moving which a lady at the chemist told me the other day.

Therese

Therese, BRISBANE, 3yr old boy 6 wk girl

Wow! My Brianna was born on the 25th of September, the day before your little one! My little girl has always sucked on her hands and fingers and fists! She hates the dummy but loves her hands! My little one has been sucking on them more often this last month as she has started teething...my son started teething this young too! Don't worry about it!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Hi, it's amazing how many babies are born sep / oct time of year. I think Cameron is also started teething, he has little white marks in his gums, and is dribbling heaps. Its so hard to tell sometimes what going on with their little bodies, there are so many changes for them in so little time. Thanks for replying. All the best for 2004.
Hi all,
My son is 12 weeks old and loves his hands too, though I do find that he likes those thumbs really well. I had a friend who said that it happened to her sons about a month before teething so I'll be interested in knowing what happens in the next few weeks. He does dribble but only a little and I've checked his gums but no sign of teeth.

On the other hand I've had a friend who was told by their prenatal teacher that it's better to have them suck a dummy then suck their thumb - apparently easier to break the habit. I personally don't agree, like it was said before you can lose a dummy but the child can't lose their thumb/hand. Sometimes it's difficult to decide what advice to take on board.

Bett, NSW, 2 boys & Twins 19.2.08

Hello, My daughter was not even a minute old and where did the fist go u ask? in her mouth. Now she tries to suck her thumb or fist. She even pulls the dummy out and here the fist/thumb goes in. I guess she takes it after me. I used to suck my thumb lol. Shes 8 weeks old

Karen - Jasmine 14/1/05 & Damon 31/1/07

Sign in to follow this topic