Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

FLAT SPOT ON HEAD Rss

my 3 month old has a very noticeable flat area on his head as he always sleeps with his head to the right, it doesn't matter if I put him on his side or turn his head the other way he always ends up that way. He has been sleeping through since 6 weeks (YAY) which means he has long stretches at a time on that side. I have tried tummy time when he is awake but he hates it, the nurse said it will probably stay like that . Has anyone else had a baby with a flat head & if so did it improve?

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

I have a son who is approaching 4 months who only slept on his left side and has since birth. I too was very concerned about head shape but I tried to put him in the centre on the other side etc but he always reverted back. His head was out of shape as well but he seem to be correcting this problem now changing sides as he sleeps. This has only started to happen about 2 weeks ago.
He too hated tummy time cause he could not hold he head up. All of a sudden about two weeks ago he is ok now for short periods. People make you panic if everything does not go by the book but really babies develop in there own time.

Jungle baby

My baby is now almost 6 months old - prior to about 4 1/2 months he had a noticable flat spot on the back of his head where he slept all the time. This has now started to come out again and his head is looking rather "normal" again (not that all heads are the same - feel yours and compare it to others).

You'll find that as they get older and move around the cot that they will sleep in about 500 hundred different positions and his/her head shape will "round" out a bit. However, look at all face shapes, we are not all the same, my husband still has a flat spot if you feel round his head but you can't notice it as his hair covers it.

Erica (son over 1 year)

At least your haubby has hair LOL! I'm afraid my boys flat spots will reappear as they go bald too later in life!
Thanks for info. Thats good to hear it gets better

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

My 1st son favoured on side and developed a slight flat spot. The clinic sister referred me to a physio and she suggested that he needed to do some exercies to strengthen his neck. I needed to get a toy and keep his attention while moving it from one side to the other so that he would turn from left to right, every time that I changed him.

She also suggested that you place a sock filled with rice or something else heavy and place that on the side that they favour when they go to sleep, so that they are forced to face the other way. We ended up having to go in there every 10-15 mins to check and turn his head the other way. I took a while but he finanlly got the idea.

His head is more rounder now but I don't think that he'll be able to be a baldie smile
My 2mo daughter also favors her left side, very much and was developing a flat spot.
My Maternal Health Nurse told me to be careful with this.
I have to tuck her in very tightly on her right side to stop her rolling back on her left side.
She fought it for a while but is now content to sleep either side, and her flat spot is lessening.

Hi there,
I always sleept my daughter on her side, and i used a thing called a sleep-ez, it has a triangle piece of foam that your babys back goes against and a small triange piece of foam at the front and is covered in toweling. I just changed which way she was facing every time she went down.

Karen,NZ, 5 yr old girl & 2 yr old boy

only just logged onto this site hence the delay in replying.
My 3 month old son has a very flat area on his head as he always sleeps with his head to the right. He also sleeps for long periods at night. The child health nurse has referred me to physio and he now has exercises to do, I use a "peanut" pillow everywhere he sits or lays down, use a rolled up nappy behind him to force in to face left when in his cot, use colourful toys and rattles during play to make him face left and also plenty of tummy time. That didn't greatly improve his flatness so I have now been referred to Mater Children's Hospital in Brisbane as he will have to have a helmet fitted to his head which he has to wear 23 hours a day (1 hour off for bath-time and cleaning).
Anyone else had a such a helmet fitted?

My 5mth old son also has a very flat spot on the right side of his head. We have also tried sleeping him on his side, turning his head while playing etc but nothing is working. The Paediatrician has briefly mentioned the helmet but does not know a lot about it. Can you tell me what it looks like and any information you have been told about it? Do you know how long the helmet needs to be worn for? Any info you can give me would be appreciated.
I don't have this problem with my daughter but I'm really interested as to how your son goes. Do let us know if the helmet worked.

Good luck.

http://www.compingclub.com

My mum had the same problem with me and she said as soon as I was older and sat up more that it disappeared and I have heard that from a few people with the same experience! I read that there is no need to panic as there is no damage done and it will correct itself when the baby gets older and doesn't sleep so much!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

How did you go with the helmet?

http://www.compingclub.com

Sign in to follow this topic