Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Expressing for every feed Rss

I have to express for all of Caleb's feeds due to him being tongue tied. I have had alot of conflicting info on how much he should be having at every feed. Some say 100mls 'cos its breast milk some say 120mls or more 'cos its from a bottle. I have started him on rice cereal twice aday (he is 7.5 weeks) as he seems to love it, but how much should he be having in the bottle?

Jenni, SA, Caleb's Mum

My baby is 9 weeks old, being breast fed exclusively and he has a bottle of ebm when he is being babysat, and his feeds vary greatly.. I guess they will drink until they are full, like they do on the breast. He drinks between 120-150mls and currently weighs 6.2kg, it also depends on how much he has to how often he feeds, if he has only 120mls he usually wants more 2 hours later.... This is only my first baby, so am only going by what I have found. Good luck!
Hi Jenni

When you breastfeed you never really know how much your baby is getting anyhow. As long as he has plenty of wet nappies, and is gaining weight it's a good indication he's getting enough.

Jasmine
The best answer to your question is Test Test Test.
It depends on so many variables such as:

The time of his last feed.
The amount of foremilk and hindmilk u express.
And what his mood is that day (some days my little one hardly drinks anything during the day and sucks me dry at night and of course vice versa).
His general appetite - a big baby generally eats more.

So far I have been able to express about 90mls in one go and it gets her to sleep for 3hrs until I return home but each baby has a different appetite as you and I do so just keep testing. You'll probably note a pattern in Calebs eating/drinking (a blessing in disguise as other mums continously wonder how much their little one is drinking).

Just keep feeding him until he stops drinking and plays around. (the worst that can happen is he will possett up any extra's as he would if he was on the breast).

I find it hard to express 120 mls in one go so give yourself a pat on the back if you can do this at every feed!!! wow!

Daniella, Sydney, 15 month old

We are finally getting it together, Caleb is aving 130mls and sleeping upto 3hrs, we also give him rice cereal twice a day and he will sleep for around 5hrs after that and a bottle of 80mls.
I have heaps of milk and get between 120mls and 250mls each time depending on the time of day! If only I could sell it I would be a millionair smile
Thanks for all your help.

Jenni, SA, Caleb's Mum

Hi Jenni

I was in the same position as you with my son - I couldn't get him to breastfeed so had to express for every feed. I was managing to express approx 150mls everytime but my son didn't quite take all of it - mostly he would take about 130mls.

Did you know you can freeze your breast milk for up to 3 months. If you freeze any extra in ice trays and bag it up each day - you will have some on hand for those "just in case" days (i.e. if you get sick or are stressed and not producing milk etc). Just remember to mark the date on the bag so you know when to use it by.

I stopped expressing once my son hit 3 months - it takes up a lot of time and can make extra work (like you haven't got enough to do with a baby!!). He is now on formula and doing great.

Sounds like you have everything under control anyway ... take care and happy mothering!

Debs, NZ, Mum to Rory born 19/01/04

Hi Jenni,

I expressed everyfeed from 5 1/2 weeks with my little girl. She would drink about 150ml to start with and then ended up drinking 180ml most feeds. I ended up expressing until she was 6 months old. She was drinking 200ml by then.

Bron

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Is it ok to feed such a young baby rice cereal? Because if it is i'm onto it really soon to save my nipples from falling off!!! And that's using nipple shields!!

Super.

bubsy32

Sign in to follow this topic