Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Not enough hindmilk Rss

HI all

I appear to have too much fore milk and not enough hindmilk.

Is there anything I can do to reverse this.

I have tried expressing some of the fore milk, but then bubs doesn't seem content enough and still appears hungry

I would appreciate any suggestions

2 Under 1

If i wasyou i would feed your baby completely from both breasts then express, even if you only get a few mls, it will mean that the body should make more, beleiving that it is your baby sucking and needing more milk....
im no expert but it might help,
also there are certain herbs and teas that can help you produce more milk, ask your health sister,
GOOD LUCK!!

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

Hi ZacsMum

I think I've replied to a couple of your posts about feeding - I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all because I'm certainly not, I only have one baby grin . I visited our local baby clinic heaps in the early days as I had a bit of trouble with the whole breastfeeding thing - thankfully it all worked out and I'm still breastfeeding my 9 month old son. Anyhow back to the point, the nurse told our mother's group not to worry too much about foremilk and hindmilk as when breastfeeding settles into a bit of normality your body produces exactly what your baby needs. She said especially on really hot days your milk will be more watery to accomodate your baby's need for extra fluids. I don't know how old your baby is, but both the midwives and lactation consultant at the hospital and the clinic nurses all told me it takes about 6-8 weeks to get breastfeeding 'down-pat'. Have you contacted the breastfeeding association - they have an excellent website with heaps of info. I probably told you in another reply that I used to give my son comp feeds of formula in the really early days as I was feeding every 1 1/2 hours and he never seemed satisfied - it was usually only 60ml once per day but it got us through the rough times. Does your baby seem content if you don't express before a feed? When I was trying to increase my supply I asked the nurse if I should express and she said I was better off letting my son feed as most babies are more efficient at draining the breast than a pump. Anyhow I really don't want to sound like a know-it-all, I just thought sharing my experience might be of some help to you.

All the best
Jasmine
Thanx for your responses

Jas is it possible to have your email so I can talk more to you about my breast feeding. You have lots of great tips and may be able to help.

Bubs is 6 weeks old and I have been giving him comp feeds due to lots of problems, such as positioning bubs cant latch on and if he does is only on for 2mins and then he doesn't latch on at all after that. Now my milk has decreased.
I try pumping milk out but not very successful.

I would appreciate your help

Thanx ZacsMum

2 Under 1

Hi ZacsMum
My email address is:
jas_mbrown@hotmail.com

Talk to you soon
Jasmine
I have the same problem, my paed suggested that i express before i feed and then after i have fed to get my supply pumping through. Also try topping bub up with a bottle of formula until you get full supply happening. That is my suggestion from my experiences lately

Nic & Craig, QLD, Xavier 6weeks old

hello smile

i have the same problem and with no time to express milk, i have offered comp feeds once a day.i havent noticed a huge increase in breastmilk as a result either, which is discouraging. he seems to eat ALOT and with him being the 5th, theres no time to express. he is 7weeks.

i was just wondering if you had noticed if the formulae was upsetting bubs at all? my little man, George, seems to get an upset tummy and loads of wind if he has a bottle, and his poo's thicken up and take days to come out. we've got him on karicare gold.

so yeh, back on track, have u had any problems with the formulae's and bottles?

sahm to 5 midgit circus freaks

Hey sleepy (nice name)

After each feed my baby gets the hiccups and then he vomits. Not sure why. He does it on breastmilk too so im not sure if it the formula.

ZacsMum

2 Under 1

Sign in to follow this topic