Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Heating Bottles Rss

I have an 11 week old boy and he is being bottle fed. I have just read that you shouldn't heat the bottles in the microwave as you can lose nutrients from the formula. Is the microwave safe to heat bottles and if not, is there another quick method to use to heat bottles?

Jenni, Vic, Baby boy

I have never heard of losing nutrients through warming in the microwave.. i only know that you should shake the bottle to disperse hot spots..
Good luck!

Kel,nsw, Girl '97 & Girl '02 & Boy '05

I'm with Kel, just make sure you shake the bottle well!
I think it is breast milk that you shouldn't heat in the microwave!

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

I had this problem with my first. She started on breast milk bottles which must be heated slowly in a bottle warmer and not in the microwave as this will destroy all the antibodies the baby receives from the milk. I was not made aware of this fact until I had been doing it incorrectly for 2 weeks and I called the breastfeeding association to find out. Once I put her on formula at 5 months I heated only the water in the microwave and added the formula once the water was at the required temperature. You can buy a formula storage container that can hold 3 servings worth (so you're able to get out for a whole day) from a good chemist. I have heard that it's healthier if you add the formula to the water when you're ready to use it and not to mix and store it before it's needed.

Peta, NSW, mum of 2 gorgeous girls

I am suppliment feeding and we heat the water first and then add the formula. I was also told by my child nurse not to heat up formula in the microwave.

Em Tmba - mum to Liam 31/7/03 & Callum 7/5/05

My daughter is being bottle-fed also, and like alot of people here, i always made my water the right temperature first, then added formula, but because my daughter seems to be having alot of wind pains, they said it may be do to the froth in the bottle due to shaking it just before feeding. So now i make my bottles up with formula in them, and i have brought a very little saucepan (used to make tea) and i heat that up and sit the bottle in boiling water. I hope that helps, and good luck to you and your little boy smile
Hi, I have never heard of this before. I have 4 children and have always heated their bottles up in the microwave even with the formula in it. I never had any problems with them. I don't know what I would have done without a microwave when I had the twins. And now that number 4 is hear I need to heat his bottles in the microwave before he wakes up the house of a night time.
I haven't used the microwave as everything I have every read about heating bottles says "never to microwave bottles". If many mum's find it easier etc... I'll give it a try. How long do you put the bottle in for? (approx)

I'm actually trying to purchase the Avent Bottle Warmer. Does anyone recommend it or know anything about it?

http://www.compingclub.com

When I first started bottle feeding my son I followed the experts advice and only ever heated his bottles by standing them in hot water which took forever.

I eventually started using the microwave and it was so much easier.

I heated them for 1 minute then gave the bottle a good shake after to disperse the heat.

Never had any problems.

Good luck
Therese

Therese, BRISBANE, 3yr old boy 6 wk girl

I have been told not to heat any bottle feeds in the microwave so I heat the water up first then add the formula and for my breast milk I take the long wait and heat it by standing it in a cup of hot water! Who knows if it loses all the goodness but I'd rather miss the mircowaving just to be on the safe side!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

I have used the Avent warmer since day one and it is wonderful! I have bottle of water in it all the time on low (just Keep the water topped up in warmer) and add formula when needed! Saves alot of noise and fuss in the middle of the night!
Hi Jenni,
I heat my bottles in the microwave. As far as I can work out, the only problem is that if you don't shake the milk to disperse the heat. In my microwave, I heat for 40sec, which seems to make it body temp. which was what she was used to when being breast fed. Best wishes!
Sign in to follow this topic