Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Milk Drying Up Rss

What are some signs of your milk drying up

Concerned Mum

2 Under 1

Hi Zacs Mum

I thought my milk was drying up a couple of times - I never seemed to have that much to start with - as my son was really unsettled and feeding really frequently. Anyhow I was going to the clinic regularly at that stage as our mothers group was being held there, and the nurse reassured me that babies go through growth spurts and it's particularly noticable in breastfed babies. Apparently they usually have growth spurts at 6 and 12 weeks and again at 6 months, but as babies are all different some have them more frequently and less. My son seemed to have them every couple of weeks, there were times when he would be feeding every 1 1/2 hours or closer so I thought my milk was drying up. I asked the nurse if expressing would help to increase my supply but she said in most cases babies are more effcient at sucking than breast pumps and she was right in my case. Sometimes I would top him up with 60 mls of formula which isn't always recommended but if it wasn't for doing that I probably would have given up breastfeeding altogther. I don't know how old your baby is but as you and your baby get used to breastfeeding your milk supply adjusts to their requirements so you tend to lose that engorged feeling. I would suggest talking with your local clinic nurse - I know some of them are dragons, but I am lucky to have really supportive ones at our clinic. I'm still breastfeeding my son who is nearly 9 months old. I know this isn't a specific answer to your question, but I just thought I'd share my experience. I hope it helps. Let me know how you go.

All the best
Jasmine
Sign in to follow this topic