Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Changing formula to AR? Rss

My daughter is 5 months old and has suffered reflux since she was started on formula at 8 weeks. I have tried using Gaviscon for the past 2 weeks and it has helped but her reflux has just come back and the Gaviscon doesnt seem to be working any longer. I was wondering how other mums have found the anti-reflux formula, and if they needed to change their bubs from another formula onto it? How do i go about this, and are their any problems with constipation due to the thicker formula??????

celeste,wa,baby Ella

Hi Celeste, My son also suffered from reflux. We had him on S26ar but have read in this site that a lot of mums had trouble with constipation from S26. They said they used Karicare and it was a lot better. Our son did suffer from constipation but we used to give him 1 teaspoon of brown sugar to 60mls of cooled boiled water. Our son is now on fresh goats milk so I didnt get to change him to Karicare. We just changed him straight over from normal formula to the AR. The AR has a very yucky smell to it. You can not mix it with water that is too hot as it starts to thicken really quickly and you end up with lumpy bits in the bottle which clog the teat. We also found it better to used a teat that was the bigger size up. Other wise you will spend all your time holding a bottle as it slows them right down and cleaning the clog. We also found we had to keep shaking the bottle while the baby feed or the thickener would settle on the bottom. We noticed the AR did help and at one stage thought we would try the normal again, he was back to vomiting in no time.
Our son was on Zantac from around 6 weeks of age which we found helped until we took him to a Chiropractor which really changed him.
Good luck with the reflux. I have been told they grow out of it around 12 months but my baby is 14 months and still vomits. A friend of mine has a 2 year old who still vomits. Hope this helps!
Sign in to follow this topic