Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. when to stop giving my 12 mth girl the bottle

when to stop giving my 12 mth girl the bottle Rss

my girl is 12 mths old and she does not have a bottle anymore,was it to soon to take it off her or is it a good thing. she doesn't miss it at all.is there any out there that has done this, whould like fed back please.

kirsty w

kirsty, new zealand

Hi its me again!
I felt exackly the same when i took my daughter off the bottle at 12mths. Thats why i seeked the advice from my community health centre about the calcium.
My daughter was terrible with a bottle and the breast from the moment she was born. She only drank 60- 80ml at any given time till she was 1. A constant worry for me for the entire period. It was almost a blessing the day i didnt have to give her a bottle any more. At first I gave her milk at every meal, eg milk on cereal a cup at lunch and baby custard powder with milk after dinner.
Now she only has milk at breakfast and i just make sure she has plenty of cheese and yoghurt everyday!
Just thought i would tell you more of my story, i hope your not bored hearing from me again!!

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

i wouldnt worry too much ... my daughter too gave up all bottles by the time she was 1 and was fine ... unlike my 15 month old son who is still having 3 bottles a day!! ... I was told that my little girl was too young to give up her bottle but who cares what everyone else thinks ... do what is best for you!

sa, girl 3 & boy 1

If she doesn't miss it, it was certainly a good decision:-)

Double Mum

Kristy - I went to this dental care/nutrition thing the other day where they said that babies need to be off the bottle at 12 months. Feeding with a bottle has a major association with tooth decay and that's why they need to be drinking from a cup at 12 months. (When babies suck on a bottle the acid that causes decay just keeps washing over their teeth. Continued exposure causes tooth decay)

I think you did the right thing! smile and I certainly agree that if she doesn't miss it then it was a good decision!

12 months is definitely the right time to stop giving a bottle!

Hannah (3 yrs) and Harry's (born 22/7) Mum! QLD

Sign in to follow this topic