Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. MY BABY WILL ONLY EAT RICE CEREAL

MY BABY WILL ONLY EAT RICE CEREAL Rss

Hi, I have a 20 week old whom I introduced to rice cereal 2 weeks ago. She took to the cereal with no problems. I have tried to introduce some vegies - mashed potato, sweet potato, pumpkin (trying something new every couple of days) but she spits them out completely. I have tried fork mashing, pushing food through a sieve, adding water, adding formula to try and tempt her, to no avail. Does anyone have any tips apart from persistance?
Hi Deesy,
I went through the same thing with my daughter. It really is only persistance. Keep trying though as it took my girl 5 tried before liking pumpkin and at least 3 with most other things. I tried jars/tins first as they are nutricious, are only purely veg &/or meat and are so easy and you don't waste as much. Also, it's alot less hassle. Do you own a blender? Babies really only seem to like purely pureed food to start with so if you don't have one, make the investment, it's worth it when you can blend veges, meat etc in bulk, and freeze it, then use smaller serves until bubby likes it and then go for bigger serves, that way you're also still not wasting it if you prefer to make your own rather than buy tins or jars. My baby still doesn't like lumps and she's 8 months so, the blender is a life saver. Good luck, hope this helps.
Hi Deesy
I've been pretty lucky, my 5 mth old will eat solids over a feed given the chance.
I went to new parenting class at my local child health clinic about introducing solids. The nurse said it could take up to 10 attempts for each new food for the bub to take to the new flavour. I initially mixed about half a teaspoon of pumpkin with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of rice cereal mixture, and gradually increased the amount of pumpkin until it was only about a third of rice cereal and the rest pumpkin. I did this with pear and apple as well. He has been taking solids for around 6 weeks now, and now will eat the foods straight out without the rice cereal. (this is great if you have to go out, you can take a jar or can of commercial food)
Definately try and mix any new foods in with the rice cereal, little by little - this may help with the new flavours. Good Luck!!
Thanks. Sometimes it is nice to know I'm not the only one. I'll try out what you suggest.
Hi Deesy
How's it going with feeding?? I now have the opposite problem. My little man refuses his rice cereal by itself, and will only have it if its mixeds with fruit puree. They develop the strangest taste palettes. He now will only eat something if it has pear or pumpkin mixed with it - little darlings aren't they!!! But we wouldn't trade them in.
Sign in to follow this topic