Huggies Forum

tummy ache from solids Lock Rss

my 5 1/2 month old gets really unsettled after giving her rice cereal, she loves it and gobbles it down but i have given up, as she gets really upset and gets wind like pains, - has anyone else had this problem is it normal and should i persevere.

Cherie, mummy to Emma 14/5/04, Vic

Hi Cherie,
Mikki is 3 1/2 months and was wanting more to eat after BF so we started her on solids early.
She also ate the baby rice no problem but after a few hours would be grumpy, not sleep and somethmes threw up. So we gave her a few days rest then tried pureed fruit. She loves it, is so much happier and it satisfies her after her BF.
We've decided to just go with the fruit for now, try vege's in a week or so, then try cereal again in a month.
I know sometimes things don't go to plan or by the book, but who wants a text book baby anyway!
Hope things are going better for you now,
Take care,
KJ
smile

Mikki'sMum

Hi,

I think my daughter gets tummy aches from rice cereal too. I have only been giving solids for about 4 weeks and she gobbles her food down, but is very unsettled afterwards. Everytime I introduce a new food, I mix it with the rice cereal. For each feed after that I increase the amount of fruit or veges that I am mixing with it until there is no rice cereal added. As soon as I have introduced a variety of food, I think I will cut the rice cereal out altogether. I know lots of mums who don't use rice cereal at all. They just give pureed fruit and veges and they find they have no problems.

Trust your instincts and good luck.

Taryn, NSW, Baby girl born 21/05/04

Hi Taza,

My bubs has not had a problem with Rice Cereal as far as stomaching it goes, but once I started giving him tastier things like sweet potato and broccolli he wont eat it!!! He seems to know when I try to sneak it into his vegies too!

I tried him on baby porridge but he woke up screaming and vomited it all up about three hours later. He did the same with normal potato and squash.

I have gradually introduced potato with the other vegies and have no problems with it now.

I am about to try the porridge again, and think that I will introduce it slowly into his yoghurt to see how it goes. I think that it was just too heavy for his belly all at once.

Maybe you should just introduce new vegies into the already accepted ones and leave the cereal out for a little while, then slowly introduce it back into his diet.

I will let you know how the porridge goes in a few days time. (Only on day two of soy yoghurt, so have to make sure its ok first then will mix them together.)

Linda - mum to Riley 13.04.04 (#2 Due 29.12.05)

Hi
I have just started my little 4 mnth old boy on solids but when my 2 year old was starting i had the same problem. i found out that because he was enjoying it so much i was feeding him a little too much and he would then get a tummy ache. the rice cereal is actually quite heavy in their tummies and although they are having a great time whilst they are eating apparently they dont realise they are full till they are over full!
Well, thats just from my experiance anyway,
good luck
kath.

Kathryn - Zack-4, Toby-2 & Molly 1

Hi Kath,

You know you just might be right. My daughter never refuses food, she will just keep eating until there is no food left. So much for turning their heads away when they have had enough (she has never done that!) Maybe she is eating too much! It is hard to know how much to give them. I give her about 1/2 cup of either fruit or veges with rice cereal or just veges. She is really small (not even 6.3 kgs at 6months) but she is nice and round so she is not starving smile

Thanks for your help

Hi,

I have started to try to introduce new veges into already accepted ones and it is going well.

Thanks smile

Let me know how the soy yoghurt and porridge went.

Hi Taryn,

Glad to hear that all is going well with the vegies!

Riley is LOVING the soy yoghurt, if I dont feed him quick enough he cracks a wobbly!! I gave him the baby porridge and he was very unimpressed even though I had mixed the yoghurt with it. I remembered that my Community Nurse said that I could try wheat-bix if I wanted, so I went to the supermarket and after hubby and I compared lots of labels we decided on lite-bix (less sugar). I served it up to him 50/50 with yoghurt and he took to it after a couple of timid bites. So I added banana (finely diced) in as well. Now he gets lite-bix, yoghurt and banana for breakfast and then a serve of yoghurt with fruit for lunch, sometimes a toothie peg for a snack and vegies for dinner. He is chewing well so have just began to finely dice his sweet potato as well, and will do the same when I cook the next lot of vegies. I will gradually try to cut down the amount of yoghurt in his breakfast until he has it just for lunch as I am worried that he may have too much.

Does anyone know if you can give a baby too much yoghurt? smile

Hi,

What soy yoghurt do you use? Is it baby food or adult yoghurt? I am worried about introducing dairy products too soon and therefore soy yoghurt would be perfect.

Thanks for your help smile

Hi taza,

I introduced soy yoghurt also because I was worried about adding dairy too soon. (I have ezcema & minor asthma) I have tried two different adult types of soy yoghurt. I cant remember the name of the first one.... but will post you a note tomorrow when I buy some more. The one I have here now is 'Alive' soygurt. I got the name of this one off of one of the posts on this site. I would love it if I could find a soy yoghurt that was made for bubs, but I don't know if there is any. There are a couple of other brands that I have come across also, but I was not happy with the ingredients of these. Best to have a good look at the different types that you can find, and then compare them. If you find one that you think is better, then please let me know so that I can try it.

Have a nice day smile

Hi again Taza,

Have purchased some more of the other yoghurt I told you about - the name of it is 'Soy Life'. Riley is now getting soy milk in his breakfast too and loves it!!

Sign in to follow this topic