Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Solids Rss

Does anybody have any quick and easy lunch time receipes for lunch with solids? I have been giving my boy tinned fruit, gel and custard for a few weeks now but feel this is far too boring. He is 7 months
HI yummy mummy,

Does your son have teeth? If so you could probably give him tiny pieces of bread with some spread on it.

I know when my son was that age he liked mashed potato or mashed pumpkin.

See how he goes with these
By this age chewing becomes important even though he may not have teeth. You could give him some finger foods, like toast, grated cheese, even a smooth chop bone to such and gnaw on. At first he may gag on some of the more lumpy foods, but he will get use to it. If you don't introduce lumpy foods he can have problems later on. You can always contact Heinz for advice and they should be able to send you out a book with all this information (1800 633 333) I hope this helps
Soft fresh fruits like strawberries, pear, banana, etc can be good. Use dinner left overs from the night before, and roughly blend them. Pasta shells are a good starting food, because they are soft, and you can mix them with a range of different home made or shop bought sauces.
My daughters favourite about this age was salmon rissoles made with mash potato.
Babies / toddlers also like to dip things, so you could offer a small amount of yoghurt to dip fruit in.

You can buy some great little recipe books for baby food from woolies and the newsagent for about $2.50. They have excellent ideas for what to feed babies and toddlers.
Babies like similar foods to us, be guided by your own taste, and find a way to make it suitable for your baby to eat.

Mel, mum of Joshua 8, Maddison 5, Hailey 5 mths

Hi
I used to feed our daughter mashed up avocado and banana which although it sounds awful, she loved. I also used to make her a pasta sauce to go with pasta that's made by Heinz for babies. They come in star shapes and are really tiny. I would make a batch of sauce, with some mince in it and freeze it in portions to use when I needed. The sauce also goes well with mashed potato and spinach and other vegetables. By 10 months old, she was really into Smoked Salmon, and now at the age of 2 and a half, her favourite afternoon snack is smoked salmon and chunks of Feta cheese!
You can also try blending/mashing up your own meals as long as there aren't too many spices or too much salt added. At 7 months old, your little one should be learning to chew and trying out new textures and tastes in food.
Good luck
Dee

Dee

Hi I was interested in the solids that you give to your little one and was curious as to what you may be able to suggest to give a 8month old who can't tolerate any kinds of meat. I have tried everything I can think of and would love some ideas.

Leah, NSW, 8mth baby boy

I was given a receipe by a friend her little boy loved it and so did my little girl

Boil some rice mash a little potato in it and put a little sweet and sour in it

the potato is to keep the rice together so it's ezy for them to eat

andy, vic, 18mth baby

There is so much variety you can make for your baby.
I make up different batches of fruit using apples, pears, plums, peaches, avocadoes, kiwifruits, grapes, bananas, mandarins, if fruit goes out of season use your normal tin fruit and mash up. I just steam fruit then mash up with fork and make different mixtures.
Vegetables- pumpkin, potato, carrot, parsnip, broccoli, peas, corn, zucchini, the list goes on.
Just mash up and add cooked rice or pasta and shredded meat such as chicken, beef, lamb. Add cooked egg yolk, cheese.
As your baby gets bigger don't mash it. Give lots of finger food. The more variety the better.
The only jars I buy are some gel, custards and he loves yobaby in the yoghurt section and Apple and Oatmeal(heinz) YUM!!!!
Hi
Seems like you've got this all worked out! Can't wait to get to your stage!
My baby is 4 1/2 months, so does it matter if I give him all the fruits and vegies that you listed?
It is probably to early to start the meats, but I would love to be able to give him a wide variety of foods.
I am hesitant to buy any of the jars as I feel the home cooked food is best, and I guess it is okay to freeze all the fruits and vegies in little portions - isn't it?

Jackie, Nicholas 5.5yrs, Annaliese, 4 yrs

Hi Jax

Most child "professionals" now recommend starting baby on solid foods at the age of 6 months. The primary reasons given are to avoid developing allergies and also because the baby's digestive system is not really mature enough to handle food before then. Having said that however, alot of mums I know started their babies on solids at the age of 4 months without any ill effects. I believe every baby is different and ready to try things at different times. Nobody knows a baby better than it's mother - and only you can decide if they are ready for solid foods or not.

I waited until 5.5 mths to start my little girl on solids and, like most mums, started out with baby cereal to get her used to eating from a spoon. Once she started taking the food well (only a few days) I started introducing mashed vegies and fruits. The clinics also recommend introducing new foods one at a time to check for allergies.

Anyway, I hope this has been of some help to you!

Remember, introducing solids should be a fun experience for mum and baby. if your baby is not ready - you will know it!

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Sign in to follow this topic