Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

solids and milk in one feed?? Rss

my daughter is nearly 6 months old and has a bottle of milk for breakie than has 3 solid meals and drinks about 140mls milk as well she is having about half a cup of solids at each meal then a bottle before bed, is she still supposed to have milk when having solids. or should i be giving more solids and no milk at these feeds?????

Cheryl,SA,Danika born 24.10.03 Matthew born 5.3.05

Hi Cheryl,

My son was exackly the same, eating all him solids, then having a big bottle. What i did, thinking of the future, and trying to get him off the bottle, was give him a dessert as such. After lunch and dinner, i give him a tub of yoghurt, custard or some fruit. He still has 3 bottles a day, but most are about 100mls, and from the day he turns 1, i will try a sipper cup of milk, to try and get rid of botles.

You are doing the perfectly right thing, by giving solids, then the bottle, they will only drink what they need.

Take care,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

they actually need to drink milk more importatly at this age. when dd was 6mths she was having 4x200ml bottles.. milk should always be offered before food as it has more nutrients.

They will gradually get hungrier and want more solids after their milk. dd is now 9mths and has 3x200ml of milk and usually 4 solid meals.

Just my 2 cents
This post has been edited by the moderator.
thanx for replying
when danika first started solids i would give her bottle first then just a little solid food. but now i give solids first then milk. i thought that is how u are supposed to do it?????

but now i understand thanx allot

cheryl

Cheryl,SA,Danika born 24.10.03 Matthew born 5.3.05

when i started my dd on solids i would give them before her milk otherwise she was not interested in them. When i found she was eating a considerable amount of food and leaving some milk i switched it.

I try and give as much milk as possible, hiding her food if i have to and then giving solids.

At first your daughter may drink her milk but not eat a lot of solids. Thats ok. It just means she is still being satisfied with her milk.

Hi everyone,

I am not denying any professional opinion, but i find with my son, he will not eat all his solids if i give him a bottle first. He will muck around and only eat half, then be hungary in an hour.

What works for my son, and i, brekkie, then bottle, lunch, dessert, bottle, dinner, dessert bottle. I am trying really hard to stick to 3 meals a day, not 6. He mostly drinks all his bottle, between 150 and 200 mls, and has one over night. All that being said, he is still having a minimum of 600mls of formular, probably closer to 800mls.

I just like to say every baby is different, and different things work for different bubs, despite Medical or Professional guidelines,

Best of luck,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi, a really good book is "Breast, bottle, bowl". For bubs between 6-9 months, they still require 600-700ml of milk (if formula fed). You can start offering solids first at this age. But, as all babies are different, do what works best for your situation. My daughter is 7 months, and if I offered her solids first, she would never have her milk.

Debbie, QLD, gorgeous daughter

How soon is everyone giving the milk after solids? If i give solids after milk he hardly eats it. I have to wait a while, by then he is tired and cranky. Its easier to give them a bottle when they are tired. I wait at least an hour before I give milk so that they are more responsive.
They say from 8 or 9 months to give solids first then milk. So that is what I do. Seems to work. I think the key is to give a gap between milk and solids to ensure they eat and drink most of it.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Sign in to follow this topic