Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Custard Rss

Hi all,

Is it ok to give my baby some fresh custard which I bought from the fridge section at the supermarket? It's not baby custard and I didn't intentionally buy it for him, but I gave him a couple of teaspoons when he was watching his dad and I having desert. Is it also ok to give him some of the custard that you make up from a packet mix? I use that occassionally for desert because the fresh one doesn't last as long.

Sam

Mum to toddler

My friend who is a dietician told me not to give my bub custard until she is 8 months old. I can't remember if that was because it was sweet or some other reason (sorry about that). If you give him custard, make sure the milk has been cooked (which I assume it would be if your are making custard) as the protein in milk needs to be broken down (which cooking does) before giving to bub.

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Hi Sam,
I wouldn't advise giving babies our custard until they are at least 7-8 months of age. This is because it is based on cows milk, and also most custards are made with skim milk, so they may not tolerate it until a later age. It is also very sweet, and it's not a good idea to get bubs used to such sweet foods as they then tend to want just that, and not vegies.

A little taste now and then though shouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't make a habit of it until he is older. Hope this helps you.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Sign in to follow this topic