Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Making homemade teething rusks? Rss

Hi, I was wondering if anyone made there own teething rusks.
I've tried one recipe which was 1/2 cup of rice flour, 1/2 cup of barley flour, 1/2 teaspoon of black strap molasses and water. Baked at 120c for 2 hours.
But the rusks didn't seem to be all that hard, I don't know if I cooked them long enough or whether they needed longer.
Because after only 5 minutes of chewing and sucking small pieces started to break off.
If anyone has any recipes, I'd be very grateful.
Thanks heaps.
Cheers!
Storm.
Hi storm,

I haven't tried this recipe yet but it should work ok.
1cup of flour
1 cup of rice cereal (plain or flavoured)
3 Tbsp oil
Iced water

yo combine first 3 ingredients then gradually add wtaer 1/4 cup at a time until dough forms a ball that starts pulling away from edges, you the n roll it out to desired thickness and cut into desired shapes, bake in a oven at ~220 for 10-12mins or until golden brown, allow to cool fully before placing in air tight container.

another one you could try is 4 slices of thick bread (w/m or rye) crust removed and cut into desired shapes bake in slow oven (120-150) for an Hr I presume this is to make the bread hard and not toasty. To add some flavour spread thin layer of vegemite before toating.

Hope this work for you

Deb, Vic

Hi Storm,
I came up with this recipe when I found it difficult to find any without wheat and eggs and with not too much sugar. just be careful on the final bit of baking as if over dry they will crumble and disintegrate fairly quickly. My daughter has been enjoying them since 4 months old (now 6 months)Hope it helps
Dominique’s Teething Rusks

6 tbs banana puree (180g)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar (60g ish)
2 – 2 1/2 cups rice flour (500-620g)

Mix all together till very stiff dough. Roll out between two sheets of lightly floured wax/greaseproof paper to about 1.5cm thickness. Cut into round or finger shapes. Place on a lightly greased baking tray or sheet. Let stand overnight (10-12 hours). Bake in 165c oven for 20 mins then lower temp to 110c for a further 20-30 mins. Don’t let dry out completely, should be very firm and the sides shouldn’t be cracked open.
Hi Dom's mum,
Thanks for the tip, I'll get baking. If you come up with any more recipes for teething rusks. Or any recipes in general I'd love to hear them. Preferably wheat free, low in sugar etc.....
Thanks again.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers!
Storm.
Hi Syd,
The easiest way I found to make home made rusks, which my baby, (now 10 1/2 months)has loved since he was 5 months old, is to buy a loaf of unsliced white bread. Cut into thick rusk size slices, place on a baking tray, and bake in a slow oven (150 deg cel) for about 20 - 30 minutes. Check rusks to make sure they are hard right through the centre. (Break one in half to check.) As each oven is different, they may take a little longer, so keep a check on them every 10 minutes or so. Hope this helps. Let me know how they go, if you make them.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi Tracey,
I'll give them ago. Thanks for the tip.
Cheers!
Lynette.
125g rice flour
1 mashed banana

bake 180 degress 35-40 mins

allow to cool

can be frozen- helps with teething to cool gums other wise store in an airtight container for 4 days
Sign in to follow this topic