Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Yet another solids question........

Yet another solids question........ Rss

Hi everyone,

Here is the deal last week I started my little girl on solids she is 3.5mths old. Now this is all fine she enjoys the farex and I had to increase volume she ate every night, she opens her mouth willing waiting for the spoon to come in etc.
Now here is the thing can I feed her too much in the ways of solids ?????? tonight to bring a new flavour in its start of second week etc I added some fruit to the farex ok so we have a Tbsp dry farex, appropiate amount of milk and the 1.5Tbsp of fruit mixed in . I didn't expect her to eat all this but every time I stopped and went to give her the bottle she wanted more solids before I knew it she had eaten it all so I thought ok she won't take all the bottle I was wrong she drank the whole 200mls.
She is happy content and off to sleep as normal but I am not sure I am doing the right thing. Please someone help here I haven't got a clue if I am doing the solid tansition right. I know babies are different but please some general sort of guideline....

Thanks in advance.

Deb, Vic

Hi Deb,
She will only eat it if she is hungry and wants it. If she is eating all her solids, and her bottle, and is then contented, then you are giving her the right amount. It is advised though, at an age under 6 months, that you give the milk first, then offer the solids. If she is still hungry after her milk, she will eat the solids. If she eats all the solid meal, and is still not content, increase the amount you give her. Otherwise, just leave the amount you are giving her, until she is ready for more. Hope this helps you.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi Deb,
It's recommended that babies from 4 to 9 months should be eating 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of food at each meal plus bottles. From 9 to 12 months it goes up to 3/4 cup to 1 cup of food.

I think it was the Heinz site that I got the info from previously.
thanks for the advice guys I have changed the routine about I give the solids before she is due for her bottle then prior to her going to bed she gets her milk. It seems to work I have also incorporated a small bottle of water after her solids and things seem to be working well with the water.

Deb, Vic

Sign in to follow this topic