Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

sleeping o her tummy Rss

I have tryed everything to keep my little girl from turning on her tummy but every time i check on her she is on her tummy she is 8 mths old and i am not shaw if it is safe to leave her as every time i turn her over she wake up help help

sc

Hi Solecoria,
Don't worry. At 8 months she should be able to roll backwards and forwards on her own without any trouble, and can turn her head to breath. The reason they recommend not to put babies on the tummies, is that young babies cannot lift or turn their heads to breath, and therefore can suffocate. My 9 month old son has been sleeping on his tummy now for about 2 months. If you put him on his back, he will roll over onto his tummy within minutes, usually with his backside stuck high in the air. Must be a comfortable way for them to sleep. As long as she is sleeping, I would leave her as she feels comfortable.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hello,
It should be ok for her to sleep on her tummy now.
As with what Tracey said, as long as she can turn her head to breathe she should be fine.
Another concern for tummy sleeping in really young babies is that they cant regulate their temperature as well on the tummies so when they are young its best for them to be on their backs but when they get a bit older it should be fine.

Mummy to Talana Michelle Kimberley (13/12/2003)

all of my 3 boys slept on tummies a soon coukd roll over if u are worried get a montor that monitors the breathing too i used one oe those that beep if stop breathing the only problem is when they move off the sensor which is under the mattress it beeps which is annoyong in the middle of the nite but reassuriing

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

I have the same problem too, my daughter started rolling on her tummy at 3 1/5 months she is now 4 1/5 but has just started learning how to go back on her back, she also likes to sleep on her side and eventually goes on her tummy and i am so worried and scared as well, sometimes she wakes up and is very frustrated i dont know if it's because she was trying to go back on her back but as soon as i put her back on her back she will roll over on her tummy again, i am so worried that i started taking her next to me when she does that, and every time she sleeps next to me she is on her back or side never rolls and she sleeps right through the night, i know it's bad taking her next to me as she will get used to it but i am so worried that i wont sleep all night just in case if she can not breathe.

Lidia, Vic, Baby Girl

I was told that once they reach around six months and could roll over, the risk of problems is lessened. I have only learned this recently as my boy has just reached six months and is doing the same thing - you put him down and he rolls over almost straight away, often with his bum in the air-very cute but a little worrying. We sometimes wait until he is in a deep sleep and then try rolling him over (sometimes he will stay on his back, other times he won't).
Hi

My daughter has slept on her tummy since she was 4 months old. Don't wake her she'll be fine at that age I'm sure.

Bec
Sign in to follow this topic