Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Bassinettes? Rss

My first went straight into a cot. I thought it would be less hassle getting him into the cot. And because they arnt in the bassinette for that long. But I was thinking of getting one this time. they look all snuggly in there.But are they sids safe? with all that material around them? Can anyone give me there opinions?

michelle, mum of jackson 13-02-03

Hi miska,

I didn't use a bassinette with Madison, but i did use a carry cot(i think that's what it's called) it has a hood and a zip up cover and handles so you can carry the baby from the house to the car. This was placed in the cot from when she first came home from hospital. I can't comment if a bassinette is sids safe - they only talk about cots. Anyway the carry cot worked well for us and it was cheaper than a bassinette given that the baby is in it for approx 4 mths and that's provided you don't have a big baby. If you're not sure what i mean i can email you a picture of our carry cot.
Hope this helps

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

Most of the bassinettes I looked at came with tea tree pillows/mattresses. The SIDS foundation don't endorse them even though on most of the packaging it says the do.

Try their website www.sidsaustralia.org.au and see if you can get some info or a contact number.
hi well i have a now 7mth old daughter and she slept in a cradle till she was 5mths old and it had pretty lace all round it and it had wheels so i could just wizz her round where ever i wanted to put her and i never had any problems but i did always think of the sids situation she loved snuggling in it because ever since she was born she has always had the blankets over her head and now she has a little snuggle rug that she takes to bed with her but she soon let me know when it was time to go in her cot.
Hi to all,
I have 3 kids, and all of mine slept in a cradle. My first was 5 months old when he went into a cot, my second was 3 months, and my third was 7 months. Cradles and Bassinettes are safe if you take the normal precautions, like not putting you baby to sleep on their tummies, make sure they don't have too many blankets etc. Most bassinettes come with tea-tree mattresses that allow a baby to breath through it. Just make sure you vaccume it regulary to prevent dust mites. I found a cradle great, as I breastfed all my kids, and it was easier to have them beside me, then have to go into another room, especially in winter!! Good luck on what ever you decide.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi mishka,
My baby girl slept in a cradle until she was 5 months old. I followed sids guidelines in terms of blankets & did not use bumpers or other materials around the cradle. I also always placed her to sleep on her back & at the base of the cradle. I loved having her in our room for those first 5 months & would do it again. Listen to the advice of others & do what will give you the greatest peace of mind.
anniesmum
Hi everyone,
Thank-you so much! Yonny can you please e-mail the picture for me my address is simonwrightimep@optusnet.com.au
Also everyone kept mentioning cradles what is the difference?

Hi Michelle,

just sent you the pictures, hope it helps you decide what to buy.

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

Hi Michelle,
A Bassinette is a little smaller than a cradle, and doesn't rock. Most cradles you buy nowdays can rock from side to side, however, I would never allow mine to rock. I always had the bolt locked in, as I didn't want it to move while the babies were asleep, and make them fall onto their tummies. Other then that and the size, there isn't really much difference. Both of them are usually on wheels too. Hope this helps.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi everyone,
Thankyou so much Yonny for the pictures. I have seen them in the baby shops. But Im still un sure.

Thankyou Tracy for your advice, even on the breastfeeding. I might have a few more questions for you as time goes on, I hope you dont mind.
Also how much are cradles compared to bassinettes?

Hi michelle,
Feel free to email me any time at traceyl01@hotmail.com and I will help you as much as I can. What specific questions do you have about cradles/bassinettes?
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi!
I was going to buy a bassinette but when I saw the cost, I nearly fainted!! I already had a port-a-cot and found out that you can buy a bassinette insert for them so the baby is up higher rather that down low! It only cost me about $60 and it has been great! If you don't have too much room in your room than a small bassinette maybe best but if you have room than it's a great idea to think about...and cheaper, if you already have a port-a-cot!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Sign in to follow this topic