Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 20 Minute catnaps during the day

20 Minute catnaps during the day Rss

My 5 month old baby boy, who's up at 4am, has 20 minute catnaps during the day, and only has about 4 of them. How do I get him to sleep longer. I can't get anything done, because now that he is rolling over, he wants to move but can't and gets frustrated with himself, and then needs attention. He doesn't like sitting in his rocker anymore.
Hi,
Is your little boy on solids yet? Maybe he is waking up hungry. Try giving him some rice cereal before going to bed and see what happens, or maybe he is just thirsty when he wakes, and wants a drink. Offer him a drink of boiled water and see if he goes back to sleep. I did that with my son when he was 4 months old, and he started to sleep from 8pm to 6am every night. As the weather is getting warmer at night, his body needs more fluids. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

My little man is 19wks and had started to have 20 min sleeps as well!! I fixed it by dressing him in cool clothes (it is getting into the low 30s lately) and wrapping him in a cot sheet. (The cot sheets are nice and thin) He is now sleeping in 2 - 3 hr blocks. I have also started him on solids and am cutting down on the breast feeds, (though I won't cut them completely out) and supplementing him with a formula as he wasn't getting enough from me, he had been waking up every 2- 3 hours!! Now he sleeps the whole night again!!
As for the boredom/ frustration factor, I am just getting used to a messy house. I figure he won't be grounded for long so I will enjoy it while I can.
I hope this helps or gives you a idea, I figure everything is worth a go if it means a happy baby
smile

Em Tmba - mum to Liam 31/7/03 & Callum 7/5/05

my son is also a cat napper and has been since the time he was born. I've given up trying new things and thinking is it this or is it that, it was driving me mad. i've been through hours and hours of controlled crying, as well as trying to pat him back to sleep, rock him or put him on the boob. anything to get him to go back to sleep ! in the end all i could do was give up being upset about it and get on with life. he now has 3 sleeps a day, on a good day they can be for 1 hour, but most days they're half hour cat naps. oh well, at least he is a happier baby now he has a happier mother who is just willing to accept things how there are. as you have twins i can only imagine how busy, tired and frustrated you are. my only susgestion is too get as much help from family and friends as possible, and don't be too proud to accept it. my hat goes off to all mothers who have twins! (esp. those with babies that don't sleep!)

Bronwyn, QLD, 8mth baby

I have a 5 month old daughter and she doesnt like sleeping very much through the day at all. We have started her on solids twice a day and vary this with apple, pear and farex mixed with just a little natural yoghurt. She still doesnt sleep very much through the day, but I have found that she is settling much more easily at night. We attended a sleep clinic and we were doing the controlled crying and started wrapping her in a cot sheet so she felt secure. This was a fine method while it was cooler weather but now it is starting to get hot I am actually not sure how we are going to wrap her to sleep. We are also having the same problem with frustration after rolling over and she also doesnt want to sit in her rocker for more than about 10 minutes at a time! Good luck with whatever you try.

Stephanie, NSW, Mother of Mackenzie

hello there I am a single mother of twin girls 6 1/2 months one of my daughters was like that all I did was get her a gym and a walker and she has been fine seens.

Rebecca, SA, two 10months

hi, my 14mth girl has always been an odd sleeper. when she was younger i would be lucky to get her to sleep half as much as she was spose to. I heard they should sleep 12-14 hours when first born but i was lucky if i got 6-8 for the whole day.
now she has flash naps lasting only 30 minutes. i try for 2 a day, occaisionally she will sleep longer. now she still wakes up at night for feeds but will go back to bed easily for 9 hours. my little girl never did the 4 hour system (up 2 hours & asleep 2 hours), so your child may require less sleep, if they are still healthy its not so bad. i originally tried to play excessive to tire her out but eventually settled on longer distances between nap times. it takes abit to arrange a suitable scedule but it will all work out eventually. hope i could help.

heidi, sa, baby girl 29/10/02

Sign in to follow this topic