Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Putting bubs down. Rss

My baby boy is 4.5 months old and he hates to be put down. I admit I did spoil him at first and cuddled him all the time. This was mainly because everytime I put him down he woke up so I just held him. We've gotten out of this and he sleeps alone and for the past month I've been putting him on the floor at every opportunity and in his Jolly Jumper to try and get him to get out of the habit. This is all good while he can see me but if I leave his sight he goes OFF. He has also dicovered this new noise that sounds like I'm choking him and he makes that non stop till he works up tears and I return and pick him up. Then he stops. He has all sorts of toys but nothing except mum will do. Has anyone got any advice? He was getting better but seems to have gone back again. Will he get better when he's crawling or have I spoilt him to no return?
Hi,

Man that is a tough one! It must be so hard for you to get things done!!! I had a similar problem when Ella (now 5.5months) was about 2 months old but she stopped on her own.

Does distracting him with something else work?? When ella works herself up and i know there isnt anything serious wrong if i clap my hands to get her attention then get her interested in a colourful toy she usually gets focused on the toy and forgets her little outburst...

Other than that, I'm sorry i dont have any helpful hints.. have you spoken to your child health nurse about it?

Bel

Belinda, WA, lovely baby girl

My son, now 3 1/2 was exactly the same when he was a baby. Because he was my first I loved nothing more than to hold and cuddle him. I also liked to lie down with him during the day and have a sleep.

He grew out of it eventually but the best thing I ever bought was one of those floor playgyms. It was only after visiting a girlfriend who had one and seeing my son playing with it that I went to the shop on the way home and bought one.

He was really happy to lie in it and play for ages.

There are lots of different ones, I bought mine from David Jones and it is about to get it's second life with my 10 week old daughter.

Good luck.

Therese, BRISBANE, 3yr old boy 6 wk girl

Hi and thanks guys. I do have a playgym but as he's trying to crawl he rolls over in it and gets tangled. I do the clapping thing too. I think it's just coming down to who can be more determined and he seems to be able to put up with his noise for longer than I can!!
His nana gets a good laugh and keeps telling me "i told you so". But then she always cuddles him too! I think I'm just going to have to tough it out. I'm just a big wuss and hate him geting upset!
hi, my daughter is now 11 months old and still goes through stages of needing me constantly in sight and when she was younger I was in exactly the same boat as you. it does get better. i used to put keali in the stroller/pram or the bouncer or high chair and take her with me while i had a shower or did the dishes. she likes being involved in what I'm doing so i would take her with me. now she is often too busy playing to worry about what i am doing.
Well Ezrah is now crawling and sitting so he wants to be put down! Everything on his terms - he's still the boss! However I am wrapped as I was going to end up with one arm longer than the other.
It's a hard one! I read that this happens because babies don't understand that when you're out of sight your still around, they think you're out of sight and gone forever!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Actually that's what I've heard too and the article suggested to start playing pek-a-boo. Ezrah loves this game but as everything's happened at once I can't tell if it's the peek-a-boo that helped or his new found independence.
Hi Tanith

I'm having a similar problem and a friend of mine with kids told me not to worry, they grow out of it and learn that you are coming back when you leave the room. Apparently the last resort is 'controlled crying' or 'controlled comforting' once they're old enough- if you're feeling strong enough. In the mean time, have you tried carrying baby in a sling?
Hi Tanith

I'm having a similar problem with my 6 month old and a friend of mine with kids told me not to worry, they grow out of it and learn that you are coming back when you leave the room. Apparently the last resort is 'controlled crying' or 'controlled comforting' once they're old enough- if you're feeling strong enough. In the mean time, have you tried carrying baby in a sling? I've started telling mine that I'm leaving the room and that I'm going and coming back, and chatting to her from the next room.
It's so hot here, too put him in a sling make us both really sweaty. Now he is pulling himself up on things so if I got to the next room he crawls in and climbs up my legs as if to say ' Now you wont escape'. I've started leaving him in his cot to play while I do laundry so he gets used to me coming in and out. He seems to be heaps better - although we got needles today so we've regressed but I feel sorry for him so I don't mind cuddling the day away!
Sign in to follow this topic