Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. How long does your baby nap for???

How long does your baby nap for??? Rss

Just wanted to see when and how often all of your babies nap for, and how old. Em has about 4 naps of 40 mins and is 41/2 months old.
karen

Karen,WA,Emily born 4th June

Yeah, my son is exackly the same! Maybe once a week we might get a 1.5 or 2 hr sleep!!!

Unfortunately night is only a fraction better sad

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

my bub is 5 months old and if I'm lucky he sleeps for about 1hr 3 times a day, nights are better he sleeps for about 10hrs on a good night which is not lately cause he has his first 2 teeth coming up together so maybe he sleeps for about 5 hours on a bad night.

kia, bris

Tepe, how does your bub go to sleep for naps? I have to rock her in the pram and she still cries for 5 mins to get there. I tried to resettle her after the 40mins but with her teething atm we're lucky to keep the normal routine.
karen
karenpetty@iinet.net.au

Hi Karen,

I always wrap my son, give him the dummy and turn on his fisherprice aquarium. I do this day and night. Sometimes it works, but most times i go back in to give him his dummy. I can't stand a screaming baby, its just me! Grizzling is ok!

Bye now to my screaming baby, dont ask me! sad
Tepe

My little girl has two big sleeps during the day - one in the morning and one in the early afternoon. She used to be a catnapper (which is what your babes are doing). This was slowly driving me insane. Get a copy of "Sleep right, sleep tight" which is the book that helped me regain my sanity!

Also -no matter what age your baby is, try not to put them to sleep by nursing them or rocking them in the pram. I used to put hannah to sleep by breastfeeding - only to find that she would wake after a couple of minutes because the breast had been taken away (a sleep association). Its really really hard (I know) but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Go and talk to your closest clinic nurse about getting into Daystay or a sleep clinic - it will save your sanity, I promise!

Hannah (3 yrs) and Harry's (born 22/7) Mum! QLD

Hi again,

Just got home from the clinic and they also suggeted to continue resettling him after he wakes up! For me that means putting the dummy back in, she said it may take a few days but he might start to sleep longer!! Fingers crossed, I'll let you know!

Tepe

Cannasalmon,,,,,,,,Does this mean that since you have got your bub to sleep for longer naps that she will still nap while your out shopping or in the pram for the same length of time??(unless disturbed)
karen
ps who is the author of sleep right sleep tight???

Tragically we haven't gotten that far yet.

Apparently she's supposed to but I usually go out after she's had her nap rather than take her out when she's supposed to be asleep. If I do go out - she doesn't usually sleep in her pram because she doesn't like sleeping on her back and she's such a busy body anyway that trying to get her to sleep whilst being around other people is an exercise in futility!! (oh - and my prams really a stroller - it doens't really lie down, just back a little bit)

I'll find the author of the book when I get home (I'm at work right now)

The authors of that book are Rosey Cummings, Karen Houghton and Le Ann Williams. The book is "Sleep Right, Sleep Tight". It has information about settling and sleeping for babies 0 - 6 months, 6 - 12 months and then 1- 3 yrs and also a bit about establishing routines and how to recognise the tired signs.

Ive got the book. Thanks so much!! The first time it took 50mins to resettle after a 40 min nap and she woke up after an hour happy. I dont believe it.
I'll let you know how it goes! How long did your bub take to resettle without ALL the crying??
Karen

Oh yeah forgot to ask how old is Hannah??
Karen

Sign in to follow this topic