Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

3.30am Breast Feed Rss

My 10 month old is still waking for an overnight breast feed. We are going to start trying for our next child around Christmas time, and I don't want to still be doing the overnight feed at that time. Is this normal? I'm a first time Mum.

Amanda, Brisbane, 10mth baby boy

Hi Amanda

I'm no expert or anything, but I have read (I think in the Baby Love book) that breastfed babies can often get most of their nutrition at the night feed. I think because they and you are most relaxed, you have a lot of milk, they don't get distracted...

The way I look at it is that if Fletcher wakes and wants a feed he is obviously hungry, and I would prefer to just feed him and have him go off to sleep than put him through the crying thing..... I know others will disagree with me

Leanne, VIC, 10mth son - Fletcher

Hi'

I also don't have the answers you want! My daughter woke each night till she was 1 for a feed!

I too believe it is easier to feed a baby, than put up with screaming!

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi,
I found I used to get my daughter up before I went to bed or around 9 o'clock and give her a feed and that seemed to keep her happy for the rest of the night.

Karen,NZ, 5 yr old girl & 2 yr old boy

My baby is only 4.5 mths and wakes for a 3.30 feed as well. She only started this a month ago.
I have heard people offering water instead of milk. Apparently after a while they supposed to not wake up for water because not as exciting.
Or a dummy.
I just try a dummy if she wakes before that time, or I try the dummy at 3.30 and twice she has made it until 5.
Other people have suggested to keep giving them that feed until they want to stop, because they might really need it. I have a friend who kept feeding their son at night until he stopped himself. I think he was nearly 12 mths before he stopped.
Trial and Error people keep saying to me.
Hi all, my daughter is 5 months & will feed around 5 - 6 hrs apart at night eg, if she feeds at 10pm then she will feed around 3 -3.30, if she feeds at 12am she then feeds again around 5.30 - 6am. & will go back to sleep till around 8.30ish. I don't mind this as Jordan just gets straight down to business when she wakes that the whole feed & going back to sleep only lasts around 20 mins & we are all sleeping well in between. I find that if I try to get her not to have that extra feed that I might have to get up to her a few times more than if I give her the feed. Some people have told me to give her a formula top up & whilst that was big 8 years ago when my son was a baby it isn't advised as much now as far as I am aware. So if you're happy to give that feed then do what you are comfortable with & what works for you. They do grow out of it.

danni,sa

Sign in to follow this topic