Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Where does the new baby sleep?

Where does the new baby sleep? Rss

My son will be nearly 21 months when our second baby arrives. Has anybody been in a similar situation and had both children sleep in the same room? My hubby is not really for having the bub in our room and I was curious as to whether it would be very disruptive to the toddlers sleep? We do have a third bedroom but I can see parents or inlaws visiting from interstate for a while, and hopefully on a regular basis, so we have it as a guest room at the moment.

Thanks for all your comments in advance smile

Kristina

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

Hi Kristina,
Firstly congratulations on the happy occasion.
My suggestion would be to put the kids in seperate rooms and maybe use a flip out sofa bed or a blow up matteress for guests. It is great to have a guest room but the guests are simply that. They are not there all the time. I know how hard it is to get my 22 mth old back too sleep in the middle of the night if he is disturbed, at least if the kids are in different room you may stand more of a chance of him not waking.
Good Luck!!
hey kristina.
my suggest is that yes guest are guest...but once bubs is home the first thing u wanna do and is them into a rutuine, having another child in the same room will disrupt the baby or the baby will disrupt the child,
put the guess in with ur 21month old......

karen,NSW, mummy to Caitlin Born 14 weeks early

Yes youre both right, I guess I knew it just wanted confirmation. The baby will have to be either in the spare room or in with us!
Well I'm glad we didn't end up in a 2 bed place! Came pretty close though.

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

Hi,

Yes i agree with everyone else here.

Maybe when the bub is older and in a pattern, you could put your two together in a room. I have heard that they learn to sleep thru the disturbances!

Best of luck with the outcome,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Kristina,

I will be in the same boat soon too. I have a 16 month old daughter and am 24 weeks pregnant now. My daughter will be 19, almost 20 months when this baby is born. I too was wondering about putting them into the same room. Now I can see from this post it is not going to work straight away.

I have a 3 b/r house, but one room is set up as a study / office for my husband.

Looks like the baby will be in our room for at least first 3 months... maybe we will buy a bigger house by then?

Goodluck and let me know how you go.

Michelle
Hi everyone,
well my two girls have shared a room since i came home from hospital with the baby. No choice - only 2 bedrooms. My oldest never wakes if the baby wakes up, she always sleeps right thru it.
I always make sure that the crying doesn't get too out of hand and if it does, i just deal with it in my room until it's ok to put her back in the cot.
The problem for us is in reverse, sometimes when the baby is not quite asleep and we are tucking in the 8yo, it wakes the baby up. oh well what can you do!!! tongue

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

Hi,
I to am going to be in the same situation come the end of this year. i will have a 20 month gap. at this stage we are going to try and put our 20 month old in with us and settle the newborn into the other room. our first born slept through the night the first night we put her in her own room (3 1/2 weeks) so we are hoping it wont take number 2 too long to settle either. I dont know if this is going to work but it is worth a go. i guess if bubs doesnt settle in the first 6 weeks we will try something else. we also have a spare room but dont want to use it as a childs room as it is too cold and works much better as a play room since it is off the lounge.

Mum to Bethany (25-2-03) & Faith (8-11-04)

Hi

We are just in the middle of trying to get our 2 year old son to go back to sleeping in his own room, cause we don't wont the new one and him sleeping in our room together and waking each other up and sor far, it is going well. I found guests tend to stay at a hotel or caravan park when I have them up for awhile, alot easier then them staying at your house. It may not be that simple for you, but having guests around when you have a new arrival is kinda hard, that is the time you wont to be getting bubs into a routine, up to you I guess. But I would suggest getting your toddler to sleep in his own room, or else you may not get any sleep.

Heather
test
Hi Im also in the same situation im due this coming dec and i have 2 years old bub and he is sleeping with us in the same room although we have 2 spare room but i prefer him to sleep in the same room and we are planning to put the new baby in another room since we have a trouble putting the bub in the other room. First, i dont know if this is a good idea but i will stay with the baby in the room for a month or so until our toddler will settle down in his own room.
Sign in to follow this topic