Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Sleeping on thier sides

Sleeping on thier sides Rss

My baby (April) is 6 months old and when she sleeps she does so on her side. Everyone says to me that I should move her onto her back, but then she just wakes up and wont sleep go back to sleep.

Does anybody elses baby sleep on their side?

Lydia, mum to beautiful april + girl due 16th sept

Hi Aprilsmum

My little one is 7 months old and on the rare occasion that she goes to sleep without feeding I find her on her side with her head tilted up as if she fed to sleep lying down with me.

Others I have spoken to say that as she can roll I don't have to worry too much about her sleep position because she can move herself anyway.

Hope this helps.

Deanne
Hi AprilsMum

If she's able to roll by herself there shouldn't be any problem. My son was sleeping on his stomach from 5 months old - I'd put him down on his back but he'd roll straight over anyway, I took his top sheet and blanket out so he wouldn't get caught up in them so all he has in the cot is his bottom sheet. You can buy supports that stop them rolling around so you could put her in on her side and I think it would stop her rolling onto her stomach, or roll up a towel or something and put in front of her if you're worried about her rolling onto her front. Sooner or later they sleep however they want. As long as she is safe there shouldn't be any problem.

Jasmine
hi well i wouldnt worry to much my daughter sleeps on her side and she always has since she was little.
Hi Aprilsmum

Aimee has slept on her side since a few weeks old as she had reflux and now she sleeps on her tummy all the time, if your worried about her rolling onto her face put her in a safety wedge, we used one for Aimee and it really works.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

Hello There

My 6 month old daughter Georgia sleeps on her side. She likes to have her arms straight out. I find because her arms are straight out it would be extremely hard for her to roll onto her face.

She is funny in the mornings though, on the rare occasion when I go in to get her she is on her belly. I have to laugh for she is crying to be picked up but at the angle she is lying she can not see me.

I am thinking of getting her a thin pillow to support her neck

Kath
Hi AprilsMum

I have twin 3.5mth old boys - while I was in hospital with them they were slept on their backs and never slept very well, once I came home somehow one of them rolled from his back to his front - this is how he has slept ever since and has been sleeping thru since 5 weeks (apart from when he is have a growth spurt!) my other twin like your baby sleeps on his side and is sleeping a good 6 hrs at night SO the way I see it is like this if the baby is getting enought sleep and is happy and healthy why change the position they sleep in? It is all to do with SIDS/Cot death, but when my mum was bring me and my brothers up she slept us all on our tummys - the advice seems to get changed every few years, you just need to do what is best for you and your baby!

Liz
Hi Lydia,
My 5 & 1/2 month has just started sleeping on her side & tummy. We had Jordan in a wedge on her back but now she is stronger she gets herself out of this & finds a comfortable position to sleep in (like us I guess). Like everyone else I have heard that if baby is able to roll & lift head then the risk of them getting in breathing probs with face in the mattress is less. The first couple of nights my baby did this hubby was checking up on her every couple of hours but is a bit better now.

danni,sa

Hi AprilsMum,

My 8 month old boy sleeps on his side 90% of the time. I've never found that to be a problem for him at all. Just do whatever works for your baby and you.

Mum to toddler

Sign in to follow this topic