Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

What is going on? Rss

Hi guys,

Up until two weeks ago my 7 month old used to sleep until 7.30 - 8am every day (even later on Sundays when dad gets the morning feed - go figure). Now she is waking at 5.30 - 6am. She isn't crying, just chatting away. Occasionally she falls back to sleep, but mostly she just babbles away. I won't get her up until 7am but do peek through the door to see she hasn't got in some strange position. She doesn't seem to be cold, isn't cutting teeth and doesn't seem hungrier than before. It also doesn't make any difference what time she goes to bed. She usually goes down from between 7.30 - 9pm. She seems happy enough, but its making me tired as I wake as soon as she starts making a noise and then can't go back to sleep.

Has anyone else had this happen? Did bub eventually go back to sleeping longer?

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

i was chatting to a friend of mine as she thought maybe your bub is growing up
and not needing those extra hrs of sleep. maybe you could keep her awake a bit more during the day so she will sleep extra at night.
does the daylight keep her awake????

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Thanks Chelby,

She is still having three sleeps a day. She is usually up for about 2 -2 1/2 hours and then will have about an 1 or a bit more sleep. I might try keeping her awake a bit more and only putting her to bed when she really seems tired. She was up at 6.15 this morning and had done a complete turnaround in her cot. I fixed her back up and she went back to sleep until 7.30.
It doesn't appear to be daylight keeping her awake as her room is really dark and at 5 its still dark outside as well.
I'm dreading daylight savings ending. She will probably wake at 4.30 sad

Our child health nurse told us that at around 7 months their sleep patterns change and they usually go from 3 day sleeps to only 2. It could be the sun waking her. I recently read an article in one of those parenting mags and it said to try and get your baby to sleep at 7pm on the dot (easier said than done!), the reason being is the pattern of their sleep cycles - you know how they go from deep to light sleep over and over all night. Anyhow they said if they are asleep by 7 - no earlier, no later according to the sleep cycles when they wake early in the morning it will still be dark and they will put themselves back to sleep, however if you miss 7pm they will probably wake when it is light and expect their day to begin. This article was based on the 'fact' that every baby has a 40 min sleep cycle - I don't know how true it is. But maybe try giving your daughter 2 day sleeps instead of 3. I've never forced my son into any sort of routine apart from having him in bed by 7, and that means not letting him sleep past 4pm so he is tired enough to go to bed at 7. However some mornings he wakes between 5 and 6 and I feed him and he goes back to sleep until 8.30 or 9. Then other mornings he wakes at 7 and we both get up. My son is now 9 months and I think he is staring to go from 2 day sleeps to only 1. My husband does shift work so I think that makes the difference to our mornings - but thats a whole other story!!! Sorry for rambling on so much! I hope this helps.

All the best
Jasmine
Hi there my names belinda and i have a 7mth girl tayla, and she is doing the same thing at the moment, she goes down anywhere between 7.30-8.30 each night has 1 morning and afternoon sleep, she used to sleep to around 7-7.30 each morning, but in the last week has been waking anywhere between 3-4 and playing (i suppose playing is better than screaming) but it is very frastrating as the whole household wakes up, I only started not wrapping her two weeks ago and she was fine for the first week but this week has been a nightmare, the only reason i stopped wrapping her was because she used to get out of the wrap and put the sheet over her face, I usually let her go for about the first five minutes to see if she goes back to sleep, but after that i go in and put her back under her sheet and blanket as she gets into so wierd possies and 9 times out of 10 she goes back to sleep, then usually doesnt wake until around 7-7.30 but i then finding that she has a grumpy morning, theres not much that we can do but hope that they grow out of it really fast, as long as they are not screaming we have to try and ignore them (its hard) well good luck!!!

tayla 16/08/03

My daughter who is now 3 went through the same thing exactly. She started off sleeping until a reasonable hour (8am +), and then going back to sleep after a feed until 10am, but then all of a sudden started waking at between 5.30 and 6am - ech (I am soooo not a morning person!!). Anyway, eventually - and I can't recall how long after I'm sorry to say! - she sorted herself out, and went back into waking around 8am, which she still does to this day (today it was 8.45am - bliss!!). I don't know there is anything you can DO - her bed time has always been 8pm, maybe that's why, but just to let you know that, for me anyway, it did pass, hopefully it will for you too.....now if only I could get number 2 to sleep (sigh).

Danielle.

Danielle, Vic, Mum of 3

Hi there!

I suggest cutting back on the daytime sleeps. Perhaps she's just getting too much sleep and that's why she's waking sooo early. My little boy went through a funny period as well, and my clinic nurse said that as they get older they need less and less sleep during the day. Sometimes my little 11 month old just gets one sleep, but by the night he's stuffed and still sleeps through to 8am or 9 am the next day (sometimes even to ten!!!!). Also I agree with one lady, just check that sunshine or noise isn's distracting her so early.

Goodluck

HF, NT, 10mth baby

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will try cutting back those day time sleeps and see how we go from there, otherwise I'll just have to "go with the flow" so to speak and see if she eventually goes back to sleeping later. I'm pretty sure it isn't sunshine or noise waking her as her room is really dark at the time she is waking up and we are on a property, so its pretty quiet.

Thanks again

hi there,

at about the same age my daughter started doing the same thing.
have you tried taking her in a bottle (thats if shes bottle fed). she may be thirsty.
i took in a bottle, checked her nappy, covered her back up and put her dummy within reach and then left her. if you have the monitor on next to your bed you can hear if she chokes or anything.
i found my daughter has a drink and then settles back down.
hope she starts sleeping more.
good luck

Kristi 5 kids. www.familynfriends.forumwise.com

My six month old use to sleep through the night from the age of 8 weeks but about 1 1/2 months ago she began waking up during the night again. I introduced solids thinking it must be from hunger but this did not help. I've also began giving her a bottle as maybe I do not have enough milk. She is now getting up ubout 2 times a night (at around midnight then again at about 3.30 am). My oldest daughter was sleeping through the night by this stage. I would also like to know "what is going on". The lack of sleep is really beginning to get to me!

Angela, mother of 6mth & 22mth girls

My 7 moth old boy does the same thing and wakes up at 5 am with a poo. These poos are such a nuisance because they wake him up. So I feed him and put him down and 1 hour later another poo. I cant wait till they can go to the toilet themselves!

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

I know what you mean about the poos JZ. Luckily my bub does her poo around 9.30am, so a nice respectable time.

I knew daylight saving was going to be bad *lol*. Sure enough she woke up at 5am! Things are starting to look promising again though. This morning she woke at 6 and babbled for a while and just as I was getting up to her she fell back asleep and slept to 7.30 - woohoo!! Lets hope it continues smile

Sign in to follow this topic