Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. sleeping and teething

sleeping and teething Rss

hello,
my 7 month old used to wake twice during the night have about 20mls of formula then back to sleep, the past week he wakes anywhere from 4-6 times and I find myself quiet tired.
Is this a normal change in routine during teething?
he already has his two bottom teeth but his sleep patterns didn't change during that time. Also he protests come time to eat solids when the spoon comes near his mouth last couple of days, he does not apear to be sick, everything else is normal.

Any Ideas?

Vic, 3 y.o boy

Hi,

Our 7.5 month old daughter Mackenzie is doing exactly the same thing. She has 4 top teeth coming through at once at the moment and she is being a bit of a nightmare. I have tried giving her Panadol and Bonjela but find that neither of these have really helped. Since Tuesday when the teeth actually cracked through the gums she has started to settle down again. I actually found last night when she woke I just put her dummy back in and she went back to sleep. Has your little mans teeth actually broken through the gums yet?

I think from what I hear that it is normal for babies to have a bit of a change around when they are teething so I have just been using that as a little form of comfort of late.

Good luck, keep smiling

Stephanie

Stephanie, NSW, Mother of Mackenzie

It does sound like teething. My 9 month old son has 9 teeth and he gets unsettled at night every time a tooth breaks through - luckily for us they ususally only take a day or two to break through after they start bothering him. It's strange as he is fine during the day. Also our child health nurse told our mothers group that babies tend to go through an unsettled period around 7 months as their sleep patterns start to change, so that probably has something to do with it as well. Have you tried giving him a cold teething ring - I found that worked for us. Hope this helps.

All the best
Jasmine
Yes he already has the bottom 2 but It wasen't that much trouble. Last night I tried using the dummy but he wanted the bottle, previously he would have just a little milk for comfort now overnight he will finish 2 bottles. He goes to sleep about 2 hours earlier as well.

Vic, 3 y.o boy

My 7 month old boy has 2 white dots on his bottom gums and he has very broken sleeps during the day and can wake a few times during the night. I just started to put Bon Jela on his gums before his sleeps today and both sleeps he slept 2 hours uninterupted. See how tonight goes but how long does all this go on for? Its driving me crazy. He is also doing lots of poos. He will do a rock then after that do a runny one, then a rock, and it goes on and on and Im going through alot of nappies. He is off his solids too. Im worried that all he will eat for the rest of his life is yoghurt. He wont eat veg or cereal anymore.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

hi jz
sounds like we are experiencing exactly the same thing, my baby loves the Petit Miam baby yogurt and he is also right off other food. Poop is the same here sometimes solid then the next one is an explosion. hmm i'll try the bonjela before bed tonight...I will try anything to get a better sleep for both of us.

Vic, 3 y.o boy

This post has been edited by the moderator.
Me again. 2 teeth have pierced the gums. The Bon jela is helping slightly but still wakes at night. He is so reliant on dummy. I dont know how I would have coped without it!

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

I have been having the same trouble with my little man who is getting his first teeth. I have been using Weleda Teething Powder which is a homeopathic treatment for teething and so far has been great. I give him a 1/4 tsp dissolved in water before he goes to bed and find that it settles him a bit and lets me get more sleep (sometimes!). It is all natural ingredients so must be good for bubs. Maybe worth trying as well as using the Bonjela.
Sign in to follow this topic