Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. Circumsicion....Needed or Not?

Circumsicion....Needed or Not? Rss

Hi everyone
I had my baby boy 4 months ago and im constantly debating with people about circumsicion...
i've read its really a cosmetic procedure and not needed but my brother had to have it done when he was 2 yrs old because of infection and i also know lots of people that have had to have them when they're like 20. My husband had it done when he was a baby and he said he'd like our son to be done but i really dont know... i dont want him to be in pain and i dont want him to get an infection!
Please help!
My personal opinion.... If it's not broken, don't fix it!!

It's a hard decision to make, as we all want to do what is best for bubs. It would be great to be able to see into the future so that we knew that we were making the right decision.

In the end, hubby and I decided that we would not get it done, as yes some people can have difficulties that require a later operation, but then again heaps don't. It would be great to know what the statistics are on this...... Does anyone know?? smile

Linda - mum to Riley 13.04.04 (#2 Due 29.12.05)

In my opinion PLEASE DONT!!!!!!!!!!!! But just my opinion. If you are unsure, go and search on circumsision. I believe it will help you make this decision. My sister is due to have a boy and was debating the same thing. I did a search for her and found so much information on why not and only a slight amount for. I looked up very retuable sites and even drs do NOT recommend it unless for a medical reason which is rare.
I saw pictures of how they do it, and I swear I was in tears. It was awful.
Do the search, it will help you make an informed choice.
If a boy was not meant to have foreskin, he would not have been born with one. Nature does not stuff up like that.
When we found out we were expecting a boy, we decided we would have him circumsised as it would be cleaner and he would be like his dad. After doing research and talking to paediatricians and doctors we were still undecided. Then Lochie was born and my husband was still for it but I couldn't put him through the painful procedure just for cosmetic purposes. He would be like his dad if it was done but then he would be 'different' to most boys his age. (I believe only a very small percentage are done these days). Then my PIL (who were very 'for' it as my husband and his brother were both done when babies) tried to tell us it would be best done now in case of complications later. Well, we don't remove tonsils and the appendix just in case they cause problems later so why is this piece of skin any different? I also believe if it is kept clean it should be ok. It is a personal decision and I am happy with the one we made.

My babies are all grown up sad

i had my son done when he was a week old and never again did you know they are strapped down AWAKE and only nummbed on the foreskin where they pretty much use a plastic ring tied (like a lambs tail) off its sick i regret doin my boy i urge all mums not to do it it just aint worth it i cried more than he did it was awfull!!!!! oh and i thought they were fully knocked out when it was done mind you i just asked my gp how its done IM SHOCKED!!!

cherie,mum to Jacob born oct 2004

Well thanks everyone for your thoughts..... Im not going to get Zane circumcised because i couldnt bare him going through the pain and i don't think i'd be able to handle it either. I am always balling my eyes out when he gets his needles, so i wont be comftable with that.

But just wanted to know if anyone knew the best way to keep it clean? I know that your not supposed to pull the skin back (when they're young at least), i just wash it in the bath by wiping it. But wanted to know how to do it when he gets older..............
Concerned mummy
Ive just had twin boys so would like to know as well. Aparently you just leave it alon for quite a long time yet until they are old enough to clean it themselves????????
We didn't have it done myDH was very against it. And I'm glad how awful those poor little things, but apparently they get over it very quick.

Sydney,twin boys 22/10/04+girl 26/03/02

HI

Definately don't pull it back to clean, just wash with a cloth in the bath. I've noticed that my 21month old son's is actually 'stretching' more as he grows. It was only a tiny opening but is now, very gradually, coming further down the head of his penis. I assume that it keeps doing this until it can be moved back without any discomfort.
(Mind you, he plays with it enough! It's bound to stretch if he keeps grabbing at it at every opportunity!)

Dette, DS 06.03, DS 10.04, DD 03.06 & Due Sept 07!

Hi Amanda

We didn't have our son done either - it just didn't seem necessary. Also it doesn't seem to be that common anymore, people even to find it hard to find doctors who actually still do it.

As for cleaning you don't really need to do anything. You're not supposed to pull the foreskin back, it can cause problems as apparently it can cause damage, they start to play with it in the bath by themselves when they are older - I think it becomes their favourite bath toy smile - and they will pull it back as far as it is comfortable and from what I have been told by our GP that's enough to keep it clean for now. Our son has had one infection a few months ago, I felt like the worst mother in the world but antibiotics cleared it up really quickly. My sister has 3 boys - none of them circumcised - and they have never had any problems.I have a couple of friends who's sons have had infections even after being circumcised and they were way worse than my son's, so it's not just uncircumcised boys prone to infections. Our doctor told us while they are still in nappies it's bound to happen to a few.

Whatever you do, others are bound to disagree. All you can do is what you decide is best for your child.

Jasmine
Hi all!
You are all probably going to hate me for this, but here goes,
We got our darling boy done at 4 weeks, and have never regreted it.
Dont get me wrong, I felt terrible about the pain he must have been in, although when it was done he didnt cry, and he only cried for the first wee he did, after that he was fine, and then when the ring fell off, it was in the bath and he didnt do a thing.
It is a personal choice, that only the parents can make, and yes it is hard to find a dr to do it these days.!
Our cousin has a little boy who is 6yo and isnt done, but the father wanted him done, the father now says to his own son that he is different! What ever you decide you have to stick to and not regret!
I am sure each child copes with pain in there own way, I was lucky to have a tough child, but maybe he will regret the choice we made for him!
Do what you want, so many children arent done and they are fine!

Michelle
my doctor said that less that 3% of baby boys are done now that to me is nothing. i didnt get my boy done.

tamara

My husband wasnt circumsised when he was a baby, he had it done when he was 14 years old. He told me that he had so much pain when he was urinating and he got an infection in his genitals. He told me about the pain that he went through and we both agreed that if we have another child and if Allah gives us a baby boy then we too would get him circumsised at birth.

aimee

Aimee, 4 year old princess

Sign in to follow this topic