Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Baby Walkers Rss

Hi everyone,

Can anyone please tell me the pros and cons of baby walkers. I would like to buy one for my 8 month old. Is it a good idea?

Sam

Mum to toddler

I have a baby walker for Nicholas. It is a 'taxi' one and he loves it because he is able to move around without crawling. I guess the pros are that it teaches them to put their feet flat on the floor and learn to use their leg/feet one at a time, one in front of the other. Plus they have brakes on them so if you don't want them to go anywhere for a few minutes they are safe.
The only con is that they can be dangerous around stairs/steps (for obvious reasons!!!)
So.... I guess you could say I think they are a geat idea.

Karen, Vic, Nicholas 26/10/02

Hi Sam,
I recently purchased a walker for Noah. He loves it, I think it's one of the best things out. In a matter of a couple of days of buying it, he was zooming up and down the hall way, to our amazment, he picked it up so quickly. He seems a lot happier now that he can follow us around alot quicker then he could crawling. He also seems a lot steadier on his feet and has even started to walk holding onto the lounge, it's given him a little more confidence.
The main thing is to make sure you really check out what your buying, ours has sort of like a piece of foam in between each wheel where if the walker goes over something uneven it stops it from moving to help prevent it tipping over. Sorry I don't know the name of it, hope you sort of understand.
Goodluck. Cheers! Lynette
Hi Sam,

I think they are a wonderful way of entertaining bubs, but just don't over do it. I think they recommend about a max of an hour a day, otherwise they rely too much on it for support. There have been some studies about for every 24hr a child spends in a walker it hinders their normal development to walk for a certain amount of days.

Also, which is obvious, make sure there are no steps to fall down, by blocking them.

Best of luck,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your replies. If you have the details, could you please tell me the name and brand of the walkers that you have. I would like to shop around for one to buy my boy. We don't have any stairs in the house so I think he should be fine.

Sam

Mum to toddler

Hi Sam,
I have the winnie the pooh saftey 1st brand, it has a toy tray on it which has lots of different toys for Noah to play with. I purchased it from Target.
Goodluck.
Cheers! Lynette.
Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Sam

Mum to toddler

Sammie
You can also purchase a thing called a Play Centre. They are the same as a walker but just don't have any wheels on the bottom. I've seen them at Target and have been told that Babyco have them also, though cheaper at Target.
If you are planning on getting a walker don't leave your baby in it for too long as it can delay other development. My nephew spent quite a bit of time in his walker and hence was a late crawler and late walker. He knew that if he cried for long enough that he'd get put in his walker so he wouldn't bother with trying to crawl/walk.
That's whats puttiong me off having one, which is why I'm considering the play centre.
Kristy

member since 2004

Hi all,
The play/ activity centres mentioned by Kristy are fantastic. They can also be called 'exersaucers'. I hired one from "Hire for Babe" when my baby was 5 months and kept it till he was 8 months. They are very expensive to buy and you really only need them for a short period in a babies life, so hiring is a great idea!! Baby sits in it (but in a standing type position) and can spin around. There are toys attached all around it that baby can play with. Some of them also rock a bit.
It was so handy to have because Luke was getting to the stage where he was getting bored lying on the floor, and this puts them in a different postition. I could get heaps of stuff done while he was in it!!
A little story about walkers too!! We got given an old second hand one which we haven't used much but last month we went to a party held in a hall and we took it to put Luke in. He spent ages in it, zooming along the floorboards, spinning around and dancing to the disco music. We even tied some helium balloons to the back of it. He was the main attraction at the party..everyone was just watching him and laughing and he had the time of his life!!
So there are definately advantages to walkers. If we hadn't had it at the party, Luke would have either been crawling around under everyone's (dancing) feet..(yucky and dangerous)... or he would have been put in his pram (he would have cracked it) or we would have been holding him all night (very tiresome with a ten kilo boy)!!
He did nearly yank a tablecloth off the table that had the cake sitting on it, but that situation was saved in the nick of time (and I guess any mobile baby /toddler is capable of that regardless of whether they're in a walker or not)!!!
Michelle
Hi Michelle,

I just had to reply...what a great idea for a night out (if the setting is as right as your's). My son is at the exact same stage, so i really understand where you are coming from! I think it would have made your night, or there would have been lots of troubles, or for us anyway.

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

My daughter (8 months) LOVES her walker.

I actually purchased it on eBay for a bargin price, and am really rapt with it.

I hired a stationery 'exerciser' the other week from a local toy library however, it has proved not to be very popular with my daughter.

I am so pleased that I hired one first before buying as it would of been a waste of money.

If you are thinking of buying a expensive toy why not try one from a toy library first, I love them.

Therese

Therese, BRISBANE, 3yr old boy 6 wk girl

Children left unattended in baby walkers can be in danger of hurting themselves. I'm not for them but I know a lot of people that find them a godsend.
Please be careful if you are going to use one. Not saying you wouldn't but Today Tonight ran a story about walkers, bathseats, high chairs etc about the dangers of them saying that they should be banned, and the injuries caused by them but the mothers they spoke to admitted to not watching them.
Kristy

member since 2004

Sign in to follow this topic