Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Should babies be starting solids closer to 6 months???

Should babies be starting solids closer to 6 months??? Rss

My MCHN has told me they now encourage mums to begin solids in babes closer to the 6 month mark and not right on 4 months. Has anyone else heard this? My son, Ben, is 16w and I've had my mum telling me for the last 2 months that I should start him on solids. Generally, 'Mum' is always right but what do you do?????

Lisa. Mum to Ethan 25/9/2000 and Ben 6/5/2003

hi there
yes its true
only because of allergies.
I started around 5 months on the rice cereal for a week or so then on vegies.
dont listen to anyone but watch your baby and see if hes hungry.
any chewing motions,observing you when you're eating,etc.
so if you think he's ready go for it girl
take care

mary.NSW 11 month baby

Hi there,
Yes unfortunately, that is what they recommend now. When our son was coming up to 4 months I asked our nurse when to start feeding him solids and she said around 6 months. She then said I seem surprised. Well, hello! That's the way it was always done. The only reason they say to start earlier was if your baby was a bad reflux baby and needed the extra solid food to stay down.

But as our baby was a reflux baby we decided to go ahead anyway. And yes, he was looking at us every time we ate something as if to say 'Can I have some too?' and reaching out to try and get what was coming past if he was on our laps. We haven't looked back. You just have to be careful what you start and when. e.g. no egg for a few months or peanuts. I generally use the baby food tins in the supermarket as a guide. If it says on the tin from 4 or 6 months, etc. then I know I can safely give it to him myself. You can find more info on the Huggies website. They have recipes, etc there you can use and there are lots of topics and posts on the forum about what mums are giving their babies. It's great to see the variety and lots of things that I would never have even thought of.

Good luck. Start off on a little bit of rice cereal and then increase to include veges, fruits, custards, etc. Just only do one type of food for a few days though each time just in case of allergies.

Ange.
Hi mums,

I totally agree with Mary. I've always been told to dalay solids until necessary, especially if you are breastfeeding.

On the otherhand i've heard of plenty of mothers who have sarted solids at 3mths.

Watch your babies cues,
Goodluck

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

hi well i have a 4 mth old daughter and she has been on solids since she was 3 mths old i think it all depends on how hungry your baby is see my daughter cut out one of her bottles and she was starving so i had to give her something i dont think it does any harm when you start them on solids.
well thats my opinion anyway bye nat
The latest recommendation is to start them as close to 6 months as possible. This is due not only to the possibility of allergies but also because their digestives systems aren't ready for solids. This is what I have been told any way. We started our little boy at 5 months and other then a nut and egg allergy which I am sure he would have had anyway seeing that he was never ever feed either he is a perfectly healthy and extremely cheeky 17 month old.

1 wonderful boy 6 and another on the way

hi there i have feed my baby food since he was 3 mth old because he what so much bottle and did not sleep that when so i cave him baby food and i have no problable but the best thing is to ask your doctor about it
I noticed that my 7 week old has started to pay attention to us as well when we are eating as if to say "where's mine?"
I agree with what everone else has said though, if my daughter is not satified on bottles alone at 4 months i will probably start her on solids too.

Mummy to Talana Michelle Kimberley (13/12/2003)

They start when they are ready. My baby was taking an interest in food from an early age, and so was started early on a little rice cereal make runny with breast milk. But some babies don't want to start until they are much older. My brother (now a young teenager) didn't start solids until he was 8 months old, and he is the healthiest of the 3 of us. I was 4 months old when mum started me and my older brother was 6 weeks old. When my mum had her first, she was told start him on arrowroot biscuits softened with milk at 2 months by the child health nurse, when she had me, they were told 4 months. Just do what you think is best, i didn't listen to my mum who said not to start her so young, and i did the right thing by my baby. If you think Ben is ready, start him, otherwise they can live off baby milk alone for the first 8 - 10 months of their lives and be healthy as anything.

Good luck with your decision!

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

hey i have the 'solid dilemma' too! My son is coming up to four months, and at the moment he is having both formuka and breast milk as this seems to better satisfy him than the breast milk alone, also i am returning to work part time very soon! We have made the decision to start him on FAREX at 4 months, he too seems very interested when we eat, and I feel kind of bad like i'm leaving him out or something:)!! I can't wait to start feeding him solids ... it's like one more milestone in his early life!!

eìí? well ... it started with a kiss eìí?-3-064

My child health nurse told our mothers group six months - apparently it's the latest World Health Organisation recommendation. She said it's not only because of allergies but there digestive systems are not fully developed. She advised that it's best to wait especially if there is a history of allergy in the family such as asthma or eczema but if you do start them earlier, just take it easy and only introduce easily digestible and low allergenic foods ie: rice cereal, potato, pear, apple, banana, pumpkin etc. Wait until 6 months and beyond to introduce wheat and dairy products. Just follow your babies cues as everyone else has said. Just remember they are going to be on solids for the rest of their lives so what's a couple of months anyway.

Jasmine
Very well said Jasmine.

The WHO used to recommend 4 months, but is now back to 6 months because of the reasons Jasmine has outlined. I personally held off until 6 months, but my baby was completely satisfied with milk, so I didn't feel the need to start earlier.

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Sign in to follow this topic