Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Should I be cleaning her gums??????

Should I be cleaning her gums?????? Rss

I read in a magazine the other day that before babies cut their first tooth their gums should be cleaned with a clean, damp cloth, every night before bed! I have never heard of this until now and wondering if any other mums have, or do this?
it does make sense to remove any bacteria, But just wondering why Ive never heard of it before? i havent done it yet, and a little worried maybe i should be!!!

celeste,wa,baby Ella

That's news to me! I'm a first time Mum with an almosty 5 month old . I enjoy reading lots of baby books and magazines and I have never heard of it. Maybe I should be doing it as well?????
Hi Mums, I was advised in a well being clinic to wipe my babies gums with a wet washer while I bathed him. This is to remove all sorts of things. It was explained to me like this "Just think what your teeth feel like when you dont brush them...........well that same thing happens to your gums". I does make sense when you put it like that as our teeth are not only dirty from food but from just our saliva. I think it also gets them use to this feeling for when they do have teeth and you have to clean them. I must admit I was not religious about cleaning the gums but I did try to remember. The funny thing is my son didnt mind me doing it when he had no teeth but now that he has 6 he clamps down his mouth so hard it is impossible to clean his teeth!! Good Luck!!
thanks so much for your replies!! I have started to clean her gums and she too enjoys it!! I asked my clinic sister the other day and she too said it was good to start doing and it also gets them used to it for when they start having dental checks!
She also said once they get their first tooth, to give them a toothbrush to chew on and get used to having it in their mouths!
thanks again!!

celeste,wa,baby Ella

HI MUMS,

SOUNDS LIKE GOOD IDEA FOR STARTING A ROUTINE FOR CLEANING TEETH. I NEVER DID IT WITH NO1 BUT I WILL 4 NO2.

THANKS EVERYONE

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

celeste205 wrote:
I read in a magazine the other day that before babies cut their first tooth their gums should be cleaned with a clean, damp cloth, every night before bed! I have never heard of this until now and wondering if any other mums have, or do this?
it does make sense to remove any bacteria, But just wondering why Ive never heard of it before? i havent done it yet, and a little worried maybe i should be!!!

This is good news for us too. It will be very helpful that baby's gums should be washed properly with a warm soft wash cloth. smile
Sign in to follow this topic