1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Upset Tummy After Solids

Upset Tummy After Solids Rss

Has anyone had their little ones have an upset
tummy after having rice cereal ?

I gave my 4 month baby boy Farex rice cereal for the first time two days in a row. I put it in his bottle for his last feed and one feed during the day by spoon after his bottle.

He really seemed to like it when I spoon fed him but during the night when we put him down he would wake up crying every hour, I dont know if it was the cereal that did it or the fact he might be teething. He drools a lot and his cheeks go red and he is always putting things in his mouth. He also becomes fairly unsettled.

Has anyone had the same problem, its so hard to know, I havent given him any more rice cereal just in case. He is a big boy and I thought it might help him sleep better at night as he always gets really hungry by about 5.00a.m. after feeding 220mls before bed (9.30p.m.).

Any advice would be appreciated because the nurse just says wait 6 months for solids, no earlier.

Thanks,

Mary

Michael, Vic, Born 11-12-03

Hi Mary,
I never experienced tummy aches with rice cereal but I have heard of a case where a child was allergic to the rice cereal...so you might want to check with your maternal nurse. Although Farex and Heinz are made from the same company, the ingredients may vary...
Also, I would suggest not giving rice cereal at night. As far as I know it should be given in the morning because of digestion purposes. It might be too heavy for him. Babies at this age are still developing. It was also recommended to me not to put it the milk but rather spoon fed. I gave my child rice cereal at 5mths with no problem. Also are you breast feeding or formula feeding. There could be a problem with this if it is formula..he may have some wind..or the formula may be too heavy..
Anyway I have found that it is trial and error, so good luck and I hope this info is of use.
Hi Mary

I gave my son rice cereal at 4 1/2 months because he is really small and one of the nurses suggested to do it - even though all the other nurses I had seen previously said to wait until 6 months. Anyhow after a couple of days he got a really bad nappy rash so I stopped giving it to him and waited until 5 1/2 months and he was fine with it. The nurse said it wasn't an allergic reaction but his body probably just wasn't ready for it - which is what the other nurses had said in the beginning! I'm not telling you what to do - but I have heard that you shouldn't put any solids in a bottle, it's best to give the cereal from a spoon. My son still used to wake at around 5 or 6 am even after starting solids so it doesn't always make that much difference. He still wakes somewhere between 6 and 7 am now (9 1/2 months old) and he has 3 solid meals plus 5 breastfeeds per day. Maybe just wait a couple of weeks before trying the cereal again. It's best to try it in the morning that way if he does have a reaction you can monitor it and you won't be kept up all night. Hope this helps.

Jasmine
did you make up the cereal too thick?

i am 31yrs old and my mum started me on solids at 6weeks of age, times change i guess, if you dont want to wait til your bub is 6mths its really up to you. the main reason i think they tell us mums to wait til our bubs are 6mths is purely for allergy reasons and the older they are the better the food can be tolerated by their little bodies.
i statred my daughter at 4mths and her solid feed i gave her at 6pm everyday.
also its good if you give fluid after solids. so they dont get constipated. i know after i eat i need a drink.

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Thanks everyone for your replies
i went to the nurse today and she told me he has had a huge growth spurt and thats why he has been unsettled and is starting to teeth.
Because michael is a big boy is 4 months and is 9kg
the nurse said i should try giving him solids , i was just doing it wrong she told me to do it how all you guys have said so i am starting it the right way today see how he goes.

Thank You All

Maryb

Michael, Vic, Born 11-12-03

Sign in to follow this topic