Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Cradle Cap Rss

Does anybody have any good ideas for cradle cap? My little boy is 3 months old and I have used baby oil and also bought the cradle cap solution from the chemist, they dont really help. Is there any other ideas out there, they would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Tracy

Tracy NSW, 2 boys, 4 and 2

Hi Tracy,

My daughter also had cradle cap, I use sebamed baby shampoo to help prevent any further events but my Dr who has an 8mth old daughter wrote out a script for some cream he and his wife used on his daughter. So maybe if you went and saw your GP they would be able to write a script for something similar.
The cream is a combination of 1%Salic Acid and 1%sulphur in sorbolene it is very mild and is similar to what psirosis suffers use on the scalp. You apply at night and wash with a mild shampoo next morning.
So maybe you can try the sebamed shampoo first and if that doesn't work try your Dr they might have a remedy like what my Dr had.
Good luck

Deb, Vic

Hi Deb

Thank you for that, its not as bad at the moment as it has been so I will try the shampoo first then see my doctor if it doesnt go away.

Thanks again
Tracy

Hi Tracy,
Try using olive oil instead of baby oil. It seems to have more affect, and doesn't leave that greasy feel. Rub the oil into the scalp, then leave on while baby has a sleep, then wash out normally. Make sure you put an old soft towel or rug on the bed firts so the oil doesn't stain bubs sheets. This is what I have used for all 3 of my kids and it seems to work. My eldest had really bad cradle cap, and even now at age 10, he still gets a bit now and then in the hot and humid weather. Hope this helps.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

hi

my daughter had cradel cap when she was quite young and once we put vaseline on it then scraped it off with a piece of card (I dont think we were supposed to do that) anyway it kept coming back so I just left it and by 9 months it went away by itself, Once she started growing hair that may have helped. It doesnt hurt baby to have cradel cap and it should go away by itself in time, but good luck with whatever you choose to to do.

I remember I was a bit worried about the cradelcap but looking back it wasnt that bad.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

Hello when my son had cradle cap I was using baby oil but it didnt help. I spoke to a really good midwife who suggested olive oil as this is very close to our own oils in our skin. Plus it is very natural so there shouldnt be any reaction. It fixed it in no time. I use it myself when I get the old dry patch on my elbows and it does really work. Good luck.
Hi Tracy,
My bub had bad cradle cap. At first I used baby oil, but that actually dries bubs head more, or so the health nurse said. try using QV creams. They've got a whole range of stuff, from creams to shampoos. Also try grapeseed oil or almond oil, it doesn't make the bubs hair or head go like an oil slick. Good luck, but they do eventually grow out of it!!!

Lisa, SA, baby girl (4.5.03)

Hi, sesamae oil is also good as it has natural anti-bacterial properties. Put some on and when the cradle cap softens, brush bubs scalp with a very soft baby brush. This will bring the looser bits off.
Thank you for all your ideas, I will try these. Its not as bad as it has been. He doesn't have much hair so you tend to notice it more. My first son didn't have it at all, so this is all new to me.

Thanks
Tracy

Hi Tracey,

My bub had cradle cap up until 4 mths I used olive oil which I found to be succesful but then would appear again in a few days so I just kept persisting eventually it goes away. I also washed her scalp with sorbelene cream when bathing her, this seemed to help also.

Di, SA 9mth baby

Hi, my daughter had cradle cap for months and grew worse. One day I had her in the pool and had had enough, so while she was playing happily I wet her hair and combed it all out. It took quite a while. Since then it decreased and dissapeared.
My theory is the oil and skin flakes build up and it snowballs as further skin and oil sticks to it. As my nurse said we brush & scratch our head to get rid of it, babies can't.

Once you comb it all out, try to brush the hair each day to losen any new skin flakes. Try not to use harsh shampoos on the head to cause more dry skin, and it also over stimulates the oil cells.
Just use the bathwater with the diluted baby wash.

Lorraine, NSW, 10mth baby

Hi there my daughter had cradle cap for a few months everyone told me to try this and that but i decided to try sorborlene cream while she was in the bath i massaged into her head and left overnight next nightime bath i got a comb and combed it and it just came out so easy.

BRA QLD 6yo & 4 yo girls

Sign in to follow this topic