Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. Is it hard to stick with a routine or is it just us

Is it hard to stick with a routine or is it just us Rss

Up until the last couple of months, I have just fed my daughter when she is hungry, wether it be bottle every three hours and food in-between.
When she wakes up she has been only drinking 60mls but still eating all of her breakfast, so I started to give her food only when she wakes up, then a bottle at every time she goes to bed which is 3 times a day. She is a baby who wants to sleep a LOT and since teething her feeding is all over the place, bottles and food, its come to a stage where it is too hard to go out, deciding wether to feed her first or not to go out ...
Is it so hard to stick with a routine ?
Is there anyone like me ? confused about trying to stick with a routine
My 6 month old doesn't really have a routine either. I find that if I need to go out I have to take everything with me that she might need and stop and deal with her as she needs it. It makes going out a big thing and I can't really be under any time constraints but what else can I do???

Erin,W.A. kids 12,5,2 and 1

HI, I have a 2 YO and a 10 month old. I had them both on aroutine since about three months. It is hard but you just have to stick to it. When at say 5 o'clock give your child its dinner, a bath then bed and just perservere with it. Stick to the routine unless you have gone out or something. They maybe some crying at first, but your child will get used to it. I know I am having trouble trying to change my ten month old to having dinner a little later than five. But when 5 comes around she gets cranky and hungry. But I hope that helps at all. If you have any questions just email me and I will answer them if I can.

karla, QLD, 2yo and 9mth girls

My 10 1/2 month old is in a routine now but went through a stage at about 6 months where everything went out of whack. You do need to perservere and you also need to remember that the baby has joined YOUR life and that you aren't living life around the baby.
If I want to go out and Madison is due for a feed and bottle I just feed her on the run - as I'm walking around the shops with her in her pram. If she is due for a sleep then I aim to go out then as it usually takes 1/2 hour to get where I'm going and that 1/2 hour nap in the car is better than none.
Hi Melissa,
Routine? What is that? I thought I had one then Jordan changed it and forgot to tell me. When I was pregnant I was going to get my baby into a routine as soon as possible with exceptions being made if we wanted to go out or do something.
Well 18 months later and I'm still trying to figure it all out but my little girl is happy and healthy. Try not to do as I did and be so caught up in getting a routine that you could have actually done what you wanted to do by the time you work out HOW to do it. As the others have said, take food and supplies, dont have time constraints and go to places that you can look after your baby and enjoy her. I'm sure you will be a lot more relaxed about everything. Accept that you have a busy life and adjustment is something your angel needs to learn.
Take Care

Fiona, NSW

Your baby has the routine, not you.

Your baby is going through a tough time, just go with the flow, it will get better I promise.

Connor 24/1/03, Oliver 8/6/04, Zachary 5/12/07

Hi,
My baby girl is 7 months old. My husband works shift work as did I before maternity leave & we have never had a routine ourselves. We have never even shopped on a set day. I figure that if we don't work by a routine then we can't expect our baby to either. Just go with the flow. When I go out I take everything with me just in case. I figure it is better to do that than to stress about getting back home in time for the next whatever. Let her enjoy lifes experiences. She will sleep when she is tired & she will feed when she is hungry. I think at this age, let her set her own routine if possible.
Enjoy her!
Hi Melissa,
I completely understand how you are feeling about the "routine" thing! My daughter is 6 1/2 mths now but at about the 6 week mark I decided that I had to have routine in my life or I was going to go nuts! Like you I felt I couldn't go out anywhere or do anything because I wasn't sure what was going to happen! So....I started a routine of 2hrs up 2hrs down (or close too). Natasha carried on for a couple of days and still now has good and bad days BUT at least I know when her next bottle/feed is and when sleep time is. Natasha also knows what is going on and is very happy.
If I have to go out and do stuff then Natasha just adapts for the day and catches up the next day. I don't worry if she doesn't get the right amount of sleep or has a bottle late. I know the routine will return the next day or the day after.
I personally like having routine in my life but I'm also happy to go with the flow when I need to!
Also please remember...do what you want to do and do it with confidence!
hello, my little girl is all over the place too. we tried the routine thing but she keeps changing so it does too. we still try to feed her solids 3 times a day roughly every 4 hours and she has 2 naps a day around 1-2 and 6-7pm. but that doesnt always work and because we work in hospitality we are night people so she doesnt go to sleep till after midnight. i think you should have an idea of what you want but dont be too disappointed if it works oneday and fails the next. i was once told if shes hungry feed her. your baby knows what they need and when they want it and until they are old enough to communicate/negotiate with you its much easier just to make them happy.

heidi, sa, baby girl 29/10/02

my daughter is 11mths old and only recently got herself into a routine, she has breakfast lunch and dinner as well as 3 bottle per day 2 day sleeps and is sleeping through the night,
up until about a month ago I would get up and feed her in the night when she woke up and she had very irregular short sleeps during the day.
She made her own routines and they changed almost every week for a while but we just go with the flow, within limits, and she got herself into a routine which she has stuck with for about a month.
So hang in there...

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

my 5 month old didn't have a good routine until i started her on solids. She still is mostly breast fed, but i give her a small amount of baby rice cereal for breakfast at 8 everyday and veges at 5 everyday. i think if you keep some things happening at the same time each day she will fall into routine eventually

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

Every time I get my 9 month old son into a routine, he changes it, just go with the flow. Also he goes through many growth spurts where he just wants to eat and eat which is when finger foods come in handy
Sign in to follow this topic