Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Startle reflex Rss

HI Everyone

I am wondering when babies lose the startle reflex?
My daughter is 15 weeks and i am trying to put her to sleep unwrapped, but she always wakes herself up with her hands. Is it just that she is used to being wrapped? ( I wont be wrapping my next baby!). Any ideas to help them sleep unwrapped?
Hi Lara

"They" say that babies usually lose the startle reflex at around 3 months - but as with everything else all babies are different.

As for wrapping, my son was about 5 months old when I finally weaned him off the wrap! He'd started getting out of it at about 4 months as he moved around so much, but he wouldn't go to sleep without it. I asked the nurse about it, and she said he obviously still needs it, but she suggested to start leaving one arm out. So I alternated the arm that I left out each time, so he would be used to having each of them out. Then I started leaving both out and just wrapping around his torso. I think it took about a month to stop wrapping all together. don't stress to much about it - your daughter will let you know when she doesn't need the wrap anymore. I've read in some of the posts on this site about 8 month old babies still being wrapped - I don't think it's a problem until it becomes a safety issue. Just take it slowly and I'm sure your daughter will be sleeping unwrapped in no time. It's funny as when my son was a newborn he didn't like being wrapped, but he slept a lot better when he was, he finally got used to it and I had to wean him off it!!!

Hope this helps
Jasmine
Hi Lara,

My son had the startle reflex until he was about 5 1/2 months old. I also wrapped him nice and tight until he would stuggle to get out of the wrap, they just need to get used to it. He is now 7 1/2 months old and still has the startle reflex slightly, I have watched him sleep and when he gets a startle he just rolls over - it doesn't bother him anymore. It's just going to take time and every baby is different. I was told that it goes away by 3 months but not with my little man!!!

Sam

Mum to toddler

Thanks Jas and Sammie

I guess i'll just wait for the startle reflex to go away!
Im trying to sleep her unwrapped for the past few days and she does sleep for a while(about an hour) so i guess thats a start!
Many of primitive responses will disappear in a few months as your baby’s body becomes more organized and he no longer needs them. Meanwhile, you can keep tabs on his development by performing checkups.
We have some great tips and advice about baby reflux here:
https://www.huggies.com.au/baby-care/health/reflux

Sign in to follow this topic