Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

stroring clothes Rss

Hello Ladies,

Can someone give me some tips on what they did with their outgrown babies clothes.

Did you give them away? keep them ? or sell them?

If you stored them away how did you do this? Did you use the vacum bags or just garbage bags? What about whites how can you stop them from going yellow when storing them....?

I have a 9 month old daughter and i have so much outgrown clothes its not funny, i will keep it for future children aslong as they are girls ..

I really think i will give most away and just keep the practical things we get carried away with all these cute baby clothes but they only get to wear them probably once...what does everyone think?

Maria ...

NSW - 1st child baby girl

Hi Maria,

I am keeping all mine...........just in case *lol*.

I have put them into those big plastic containers that have wheels on them. I have quite big cupboards, so I'm just planning to put them on the wardrobe floor and stack them. I was able to fit all her 0000, 000 and cardigans etc. in them

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

This post has been edited by the moderator.
Hi,

I used the vacuum bags to store the baby clothes and they were in them for around a year and a half and I found them great. Some of the singlets had a little bit of yellow on them but I soaked them and it came straight out. I stored all the newborn clothes and it came in so handy having another boy. As my first gets older I don't store as much because they get stained or worn out. My woollens kept really well in the vacuum bags.

Now that I don't plan to have anymore I have been giving them away to a friend and cousin who are pregnant and it has helped them alot. My first son was the first child on both sides of the family so most of his clothes look brand new. The only things I plan to keep are knitted outfits which both sons never wore as some are really girlie so I plan to keep these for my sister.

Tracy NSW, 2 boys, 4 and 2

Hi Maria

I stored all my baby clothes in a cardboard box inside the house because we were planning a second child fairly early. I've now gone through the box and sorted into sizes as we are expecting a baby in 3 months time.

Once this second baby grows out of things, I am going to go through the clothes again, make sure everything is clean and put aside the really nice outfits to keep for family and friends children. The not so nice stuff will go to the Salvation Army. At this point I am intending to use a vacuum bag and store them under the bed.

The only thing I have heard of for storing whites safely involves acid free paper and cardboard (this is what I have used to store my wedding dress). The only thing is this might be a bit extreme for baby stuff unless it's of heirloom quality.

Hope this helps

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

hi
the main thing that makes white clothes turn yellow is the air getting to it. a vaccum sealed bag would be the best way to store clothes that you are keeping. just keep the bag in a dark, dry, place.

the salvation army and st vinnies would appreciate anything you give them.
i got hand-me-downs from my sisters kids and her youngest is 4yrs, my bub is 5mths. and she stored them in garbage bags, some things were a bit yukk, but most of the clothes she gave me i just soaked them overnight in nappysan and they came up like new.

and put a nice smelling thing in with the clothes so they dont get a musty smell.

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Thanks for the advise everyone, i will try the vacuum bags,

cheers
Maria

NSW - 1st child baby girl

An old wives tale for keeping whites, white. Is to wrap them up in blue tissue paper???

mum of 1

hi maria

sorry to put a downer on the idea of vaccum bags but i have found them to be crap as they reinflated and the air works its way back in

if u really want to try them dont buy the 2 for 20 bucks at big w and spend some money is ur serious although i dont know if there that much better

they are good though for about 2 months but they do expand again

mandi

DD may 03, DS oct 06

I have to agree about the vacuum bags, I have one I got from Farmers (average price department store), the bags are the good quality ones and I am finding that they are letting in some air. They don't expand back to full size, but are definitely not airtight.

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

Sign in to follow this topic