Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. Naming ceremony...What's involved???

Naming ceremony...What's involved??? Rss

I was wondering if anyone had any info on what's involved in giving your baby a naming ceremony? Or if anyone has had one and how they went about holding it (where etc) Is there an age limit? My son's 6 months.
Hi Storm,
A friend of mine had a Naming Ceremony about 7 years ago. Her son was 1 year old at the time. It was a lovely ceremony and was much like a Christening, except without the priest, and water wasn't poured over the baby's head. She didn't know to much about it either, but she contacted a Celebrant who gave her all the details she needed. Hope this will help you a bit.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi Storm

I have had 2 naming ceremonies for my kids I had them at home got a celebrant in & had about 50 people here & just had a BBQ & got a cake.They are not really that formal these days unless you have a christining in a church.

My daughter was 2.5 months & my son was 4 months.

Bec
Hi storm,

Thank you so much for bringing up this topic.
My son is now 7 months old

I have been thinking about the same thing for the last couple of days and had no idea what to do.

I am going to contact some celebrants this week to see what is involved and the costs.

We live very close to a lake so we are thinking of having it done around the lake. And then we are going to have a bbq around the lake afterwards.

Larnie

Mummy to Joshie 15/07/03 & Hannah Lily 26/02/06

Thank you all very much for the advice, I'll have to get in contact with a local celebrant & get the ball rolling.
Godluck with your cermony Larnie, I'd love to hear how it goes.
Cheers!
Storm.
hi, i had a naming day for my little girl in nov 2001 she was 10 months old. it was lovely, we are not a religous family so a naming day was perfect. look in the yellow pages under celebrant and talk to them about what type of service they do before you book them. the celebrant that we used also married me and my husband. one thing that she did say was she did a ceremony where the parents had both of their children done at the one service. at my daughters naming day we had a nice candle that we had to light. it doesn't matter how old your child is because my cousins boy was done at 1 1/2 years old. good luck with planning your childs special day.
We had a Naming Ceremony for our son Nicholas. He was 7 months old. We had it at my aunt's and uncle's. We had a celebrant, the same guy who married us 2 years earlier.
Our celebrant told us we could choose either a religous or non religous ceremony. We chose the non religous, although we did choose 'godparents'.
It cost us $250 for the celebrant.
Also he gave us a good idea, to make up a "Wish Book". At the end of the ceremony people can come up and write their wish/hope for the future for your baby/child. Then when he or she turns 21 for example they can read what each guest wished/hoped for them and who was there.
Another idea you can do (which we also did) was get one of those teddies you can write on and we had everyone sign it and have it on display in Nicholas's room.
Take Care

Karen, Vic, Nicholas 26/10/02

Thank you all for your help, the candle suggestion sounds beautiful.
When we get around to having it, I'll let you know how it goes.
Once again, thanks heaps.
Cheers! Storm.
Hi Kazz,
You seem to have some great ideas, thankyou very much. I love the "wish book". Does anyone have any other ideas. I'm so sentimental and love keeping that sort of thing. Thanks again.
Cheers!
Storm.
Hi Storm
You are so welcome. I am glad to be of some help. Good Luck with organising the Naming Day and Enjoy it!! smile

Karen, Vic, Nicholas 26/10/02

Hi Storm, we're holding my daughter's Naming Ceremony tomorrow and we found the celebrant through the Australian Federation of Civil Celebrants by calling 1300 555 875. They give you the numbers to any local celebrants who perform Naming Days. Our celebrant is providing a personalised candle and now after reading about the 'wish book' I think I'll give that a go too. If you want to send invitations Myer even sells speciality Naming Day invites. Hope this all helps
Hi Katkane,
Thankyou for the phone number I'll give them a call. I hope you all have a wonderful celebration tomorrow. How old is your daughter? By the way seeing as though your having a naming ceremony what's the little darlings name? Best wishes for the big day.
Cheers!
Storm.
Sign in to follow this topic