Popular baby names in New Zealand
A big part of the fun of being pregnant is going through lists of baby names to find the perfect handle for the new addition to your family. Or perhaps a couple of apt baby names simply popped into your head as you were having lunch, going for a walk or watching some telly.
Often the baby names first chosen aren’t what your baby ends up with, as when parents get to know the baby the selected name doesn’t suit. So it’s back to the drawing board.
Many Kiwis like to choose baby names that have a special meaning in Maori or another language. Or perhaps have a connection to where they live or to a special event or experience.
Sources of inspiration for baby names
- Your middle name, or your partner’s
- A much loved but departed pet or other family member
- NZ native flora and fauna, such as Ngaio or Tui
- A character from your favourite NZ TV show or film
- Someone you admire, be it a celebrity, a family member or an All Black, All White or Silver Fern
- A historical figure you’re descended from or respect
- The New Zealand town or area where you grew up or once enjoyed an adventure
Below is a list of popular baby names in NZ, followed by a selection of Maori names.