Government assistance for families

claim form

In many cases some financial assistance is available while raising our children. This all seems great until you actually try to find out what you’re entitled to and how to claim your fair share. Many of us give up the search in sheer frustration.

We’ve put together some information on the most common payments that will hopefully make the process easier for you and will alleviate you having to stand in a queue with a crying baby for what seems like hours just to find out that you’re in the wrong department of a government office. Of course, this information is only of a general nature, for more detailed information visit the Inland Revenue Department website.

New Zealand Family Assistance

The Working For Families website provides detailed information about the payments available to you for your family.
You can contact Working For Families by calling the Inland Revenue on 0800 227 773 (remember to have your IRD number handy).

Working for Families Tax Credits are made up of four types of payments:

  • family tax credit
  • in-work tax credit
  • minimum family tax credit
  • parental tax credit.

Paid Parental Leave may also be an option for some families. An Accomodation Supplement and Childcare Assistance may also be an option and you can find out if you are eligible for this by contacting Work and Income on 0800 774 004.

The amount you receive will depend on your total family income, and its source, and how many dependent children under 18 years of age are living with you. Each family situation is different and you should seek advice from IRD about your particular circumstances.

The information you provide in your Working For Families Tax Credit Registration pack (IR200) will be used to assess your entitlement. You can get a copy of an IR200 registration pack by calling the automated stationery line on 0800 257 773 or alternatively you can register online from the IRD website.

If you are applying for Working For Families Tax Credits for the first time you will need to provide the following information:

  • your IRD number
  • your bank account number
  • the amount of income before tax you expect to receive for the whole tax year
  • your spouse or partner’s full name, IRD number and details of their income earned (before tax and for the whole tax year), if applicable.
  • the details of the children in your care – full names, date of birth, date the child started living with you (if different from date of birth) and the children’s IRD numbers.

If you are registering a newborn child you will need to provide a birth certificate and a completed IR 595 application form (you can get this from the website or call 0800 257 773.)

In the 2012 Budget the Government has announced a package of proposed tax credit changes including changes to the tax credit for childcare expenditure to take effect from the 2012/2013 tax year. You can find more information about the proposed changes, including factsheets on the IRD website.

For more information see Parenting advice or Parenting .

also on Huggies:
Visit Huggies mobile site