Huggies Forum

print

unsettled baby Rss

My son is almost 7 weeks old and is very unsettled. We have just found out he is not attaching right when feeding and have started to help him with that but he wont drink for long and goes to sleep if i put him down he wont sleep longer then an hour if i wake him and feed again he wont go to sleep and if i try putting him down he'l cry and wont stop.

He doesnt bring his wind up well but even when he does theres no change.
Most days he wont sleep much and at night when we feed him at 8.30 to go down for night he wont untill about 11 after a number of trying and feeding, sleeps for 4 hours then it changes to hourly right through to 8-9am then back to not wanting to sleep or drink much.

We have been to doctors, had midwife, plunket and other then being told its to do with the weather or a growing stage we have tryed their suggestions and got nowhere. He does have slight tongue-tie but have been told that has nothing to do with it and that the hospital here doesnt snip them anymore anyway.

I really need help and am willing to give anything a go
Only suggestion i have is baby massage or gripe water. Or both lol.

Also, if you're getting worked up or frustrated when he's unsettled it will make him worse so maybe try and keep calm, take a few deep breaths and if you need a break just put bubba down somewhere safe like his bassinet or cot and just walk away for a few minutes to calm down.

When Ds was this age and not attaching properly so getting too much first milk he had disgusting smelling farts and green poop. My lactation consultant suggested pro biotics and they helped Sooo much. So if your bub has these symptoms too maybe pro biotics will help.

Good luck.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Gripe water doesn't do anything,better to go with infacol smile.

Agree with the message that helps a bunch you can lay your bubs down and gently bring there legs up and down should help to bring the wind up.

Those early days are so hard bless hope things get easier for you xo.

I don't have any advice sorry... Those early weeks are really hard as it seems like you're just guessing what's wrong, and it causes you to doubt yourself too.

Big hugs, it doesn't last forever (not that it helps you right now though!)

Thanks we have tryed gripe and got nowhere and i think he is to young for infacol. Will give the massage a go smile
Be Naive wrote:
You can use infacol from 1 month. You could Try swaddling tightly or a front carrier. Good luck it's hard when they're so little.

Sorry off topic but nai how is your baby nearly 2 months? omg time goes so quick.

the five s's worked amazingly for us: side, swaddle, suck, sssh, swing (gentle jiggle). baby massage in clockwise circles from 10oclock to five oclock in between feeds (if there was a clock on baby's tummy) and bicycling legs also helps. Or get cranial osteopathy?

New stay-at-home-mum and owner of Outie - designing and making pregnancy tees and splat mats for minimising baby boo-boos.

http://www.outie.co.nz

http://www.facebook.com/outieNZ

the five s's worked amazingly for us: side, swaddle, suck, sssh, swing (gentle jiggle). baby massage in clockwise circles from 10oclock to five oclock in between feeds (if there was a clock on baby's tummy) and bicycling legs also helps. Or get cranial osteopathy?

Or lately we've resorted to this with 10 1/2 month old while he is insecure because of teething - put a singlet of yours with baby (around mattress safely - no loose bedding for newborns!) so that cot smells like you.

Good luck!

New stay-at-home-mum and owner of Outie - designing and making pregnancy tees and splat mats for minimising baby boo-boos.

http://www.outie.co.nz

http://www.facebook.com/outieNZ

these are all alsum thanks everyone. Ive just put him down wrapped and on side however had to lie next to him while patting back and ssshhhing him and so far he has been asleep for almost 2 hrs. I guess nows the hard part trying these things out for a few days.
Hi there
I have not read all the replies however my buba had a very short tongue and had problems latching!
I would recommend doing the snip of the tongue now it wont hurt your buba if you do it now
delay and you could have speech problems and major surgery down the track
I personally used to wake my buba honestly dont do it your baby needs sleep!
also the waking frequently is probably because your buba is not getting enought milk on the boobie
I used to give expressed breast milk at night made a big massive difference
hang in there its hard I know just trying everything you can
good luck
Have you found a solution yet?
We tried all the usual suspaects...Infacol, Gripe, Blah Blah Blah, still loads of sleepless nights.
Try Colic Calm - a homeopathic American remedy that you can now get here in Australia.
the Only thing that worked for us. Like a gift from gawd some nights.
Just google coliccalm.com.au I think? pretty easy to find w lots of you tube videos which is what convinced me after many long sleepless nights.
Exxy but worth every single dollar ......,.sweet sweet sleep
Zoe - Brisbane
Sign in to follow this topic
also on Huggies:
Visit Huggies mobile site